PDA

View Full Version : Detailing over painted pinstripes??

ltoman
11-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey guys,
I had forgotten, as they are not in my photo. I have two tone handpainted pinstripes on my vette. I will have to put up a photo or two.
Is the XMT, or use of the pc going to ruin them? They are obviously over the clear coat. What should I do? Put painter's tape over them too- that just does not sound good to me. Ideas, please? Thanks everyone!!!Feed back please :) Lauren

ryandamartini
11-12-2006, 02:51 PM
I would tape over them, yes. PC usage over time can eventually make the stripes go down.

Surfer
11-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Handpainted pinstripes, you had them done yourself? Don't think I've ever seen a Vette with pinstripes before, at least neighbors C6 ZO6 and anothers vert C6 don't have them. Our Lincoln (like most cars that have pinstripes) has the vinyl or whatever type it is that goes around, I put tape over it as I wasn't sure if the PC and compound/polish would harm it. Our Lexus had a pinstripe but I took it off, it's champagne colored (LX470) and the stripe was an off-browinsh color, stuck out like a sore thumb.

Whitethunder46
11-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I was wandering the same thing with vinyl overlays. Maybe something that would be inserts in a rear bumper or maybe some hood stripes or something of that nature.

Do you just tape around vinyl and not polish/wax over them or do some of you wax over them as well?

ScottB
11-12-2006, 04:59 PM
I would not use a polish on them, but coat them with wax or sealant. You can use painters tape or train your eye to work below them.

Pinstripes on Vettes are unusual but to each their own, thats the fun of every car.

ltoman
11-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Ok, so here is a vette with pinstripes. One whose pinstripes will be waxed only! thank you.:awesome:

ltoman
11-12-2006, 07:38 PM
oh, and this is who did them: www.dragginlines.com (http://www.dragginlines.com) he has done cars for me for years -his stripes add points at auto shows. he is often featured in magazines and has done snoop dogg's cars. he wanted to do flames like Z06 Jim, but I wouldn't let him.
Lauren

Grimm
11-12-2006, 08:27 PM
See my reply to this: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2746

William's_Detail
11-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Ok, so here is a vette with pinstripes. One whose pinstripes will be waxed only! thank you.:awesome:

Very Nice ! :cheers:

sparkie
11-13-2006, 04:20 AM

Sweet pinstripes.

ltoman
11-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Im the MAN Im the MAN thanks guys. i like them!:grouphug: