PDA

View Full Version : Drive-thru Car Washes

keeotee
07-26-2010, 10:43 PM
While I believe I know the answer to this question, I nevertheless told someone I would ask on the board.

It is my belief that drive-thru car washes likely use a harsh detergent which would remove the sealant or wax. Am I correct in this thinking?

They wanted me to wash, clay and apply sealant to their car, but they do not hand wash their cars, so I told the guy I thought it would be a waste of his money.

trhland
07-27-2010, 04:49 AM
most car drivetrough car washes use high alkaline soaps very strong.. i know this because i know a few owners and what they use. ...cleans good but strips everything.but 90 percent of car owners couldnt car less.. its sad

A4 1.8tqm
07-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Yup, and how considerate and unselfish of you to not just take the money and run.

Although he should have you do the car(s) anyway, at least a couple times a year. There are still benefits, like removing embedded contaminates thus preventing/protecting from damage, it will stay cleaner and be easier to clean (meaning less trips to the "swirl-o-matic"), and it will just look better overall. Even if the sealant is stripped shortly after applying, at least the paint was thoroughly cleaned, it's worth it IMO.

But what about machine polishing? A "quick" pass with XMT 360 between clay and LSP would be even better... :xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
07-27-2010, 06:24 AM
Most of us own a vehicle but unfortunately we all don't live in a climate where we can wash our cars using a product of choice. I live in the North East and at times we see some of the harshest weather on the planet. This said many of us still try to keep or vehicles as clean as possible and have no other choice then a local car wash.

In the fall I give the exterior a complete detail and as a LSP I use Collinite 845 on top of either Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. This seems to give me best chance of protecting the finish through a long winter.

Another approach is to use the local car-wash but bring a 5 gallon bucket of your own washing solution in hot water and use their wand just to wet and rinse the surface. I use a soft brush and rubber gloves and get good results doing this.

The BSMachine
07-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Most of us own a vehicle but unfortunately we all don't live in a climate where we can wash our cars using a product of choice. I live in the North East and at times we see some of the harshest weather on the planet. This said many of us still try to keep or vehicles as clean as possible and have no other choice then a local car wash.

Another approach is to use the local car-wash but bring a 5 gallon bucket of your own washing solution in hot water and use their wand just to wet and rinse the surface. I use a soft brush and rubber gloves and get good results doing this.

CT right here and I totally understand. I could wash at my house but risk the water turning into un needed Ice on the steep hill of a drive way that I have.

ScottB
07-27-2010, 07:14 AM
I find most car washes inadequate for normal care. First, they commonly fail to use the best products even in there industry. Second, they have to reclaim water and if they dont treat it properly and keep it cleaned then you are essentially washing with dirty water. Finally, on those newer brushless washes take a white microfiber towel and wipe finish after done you'll be amazed at how little they remove. Often times its just a spray water that removes loose contaminents like dust and not the ground in dirt.

BobbyG
07-27-2010, 07:49 AM
I find most car washes inadequate for normal care. First, they commonly fail to use the best products even in there industry. Second, they have to reclaim water and if they dont treat it properly and keep it cleaned then you are essentially washing with dirty water. Finally, on those newer brushless washes take a white microfiber towel and wipe finish after done you'll be amazed at how little they remove. Often times its just a spray water that removes loose contaminents like dust and not the ground in dirt.

:iagree: The very reason I bring my own solution and use the manual bay and wand.....:props:

StoneRaizer
07-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Depending on the size of your car, it shouldn't take long to do a proper two-bucket hand wash and dry. I can do my '02 Hyundai Accent in less than half an hour. Sure you can save time by going through the Swirl-O-Matic (love that term), but you'll end up losing more time in the long run polishing out all of the damage that you would've prevented by doing a proper hand wash.

A4 1.8tqm
07-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Finally, on those newer brush-less washes take a white microfiber towel and wipe the finish after done you'll be amazed at how little they remove. Often times its just a spray water that removes loose contaminants like dust and not the ground in dirt.

I'm going to "borrow" one of my dads cars (whichever is dirtier) and try it. I don't doubt that the towel will come off dirty, even before leaving the lot.

keeotee
07-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Thank you all for the replies and confirming what I thought. Now I know and can speak to this particular.

The person asking me is an executive at the company I work for. The car would be his wife's. They don't even own a hose. Their lawn and bushes are watered by those automatic sprinklers in the ground. And he said there would be no way either of them would ever hand wash their car.

AeroCleanse
07-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Living in Wisconsin, the only time I'd use an automatic car wash would be in the spring to get rid of all the salt reside before I do my detail.

Have you considered offering them a maintenance plan, where you come back say every month and give it a hand wash?

2kredbb6
07-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Maybe you could offer something AFTER you correct an seal it??
Like coming every 2 weeks to wash it yourself, after it's correctly sealed an waxed the hand wash should be fast an easy an then top it off with a spray detailer..

keeotee
07-27-2010, 11:16 AM
There are a number of good ideas/thoughts/suggestions from everyone. He lives about 30 minutes north of work while I live about 30 minutes south, so this will be somewhat of a factor. But I will present the good ideas brought up by everyone.

Thanks.