PDA

View Full Version : sealant cure time

Pages : [1] 2

Bullitt AK
07-26-2010, 06:57 PM
i was told that PB ex-p takes 48-72 hours to cure...are there other sealants that can cure faster than this while applied on top of Black Hole or White Diamond? I really need something no longer than 24 hours

And im talking about enough time to cure to be driveable without harming the sealant in any way..not for applying wax

Old Tiger
07-26-2010, 07:10 PM
THAT SEEMS EXCESSIVE. most polymers cure in about 12 hours and can be driven sooner. UPGP is a WOWA and can be driven in 2 hours as I recall.

Bullitt AK
07-26-2010, 07:13 PM
THAT SEEMS EXCESSIVE. most polymers cure in about 12 hours and can be driven sooner. UPGP is a WOWA and can be driven in 2 hours as I recall.

well thats good to know...ok and even if it can be driven but what if it gets wet or rained on?

Bullitt AK
07-26-2010, 07:39 PM
after reading some reviews on performance and on the ease of use and time saved, ill definitely be ordering some UPGP...i made a thread about this earlier but i didnt mention the upgp in it, would it probably take longer to cure on top of the glaze im using?

CEE DOG
07-26-2010, 08:30 PM
after reading some reviews on performance and on the ease of use and time saved, ill definitely be ordering some UPGP...i made a thread about this earlier but i didnt mention the upgp in it, would it probably take longer to cure on top of the glaze im using?

UPGP is great. The key is apply extremely thin. 1 spray on mf hand applicator covers about 3 sq ft. Keep wiping until there is no more trace of sealant coming off applicator before spraying the applicator again.

If the glaze is cured and compatible with UPGP which I think BH is it will cure on it at the same speed it would have. Is that an acrylic similar to Danase wet glaze?
Is this your personal car you're talking about or clients?

If personal and you really want to use that glaze:
I would finish the polishing step with Ultima PPP. After buffing that off real nice and giving it a few minutes while you take a break I would then put down a super thin layer of UPGP with the enclosed MF hand applicator. Wait 24 hours. put down your glaze (by hand). buff it off (by hand) at time required. You don't want to use a glaze that is going to chemically remove the sealant you applied. So don't use a glaze that isn't chemically cooperative or requires excessive rubbing and don't use a machine to apply and remove it. In all reality it might not matter as far as the machine use as long as you don't use too much pressure and only a low speed but... in a perfect world. Then wait time required (probably like 30 minutes or something and put down another coat of UPGP.

Edit: in bold

Confirm with Poorboys you can put it between layers of UPGP

Bullitt AK
07-26-2010, 09:12 PM
ok thanks for the informative post. this is not for personal use but for clients cars, i was going to clay, PC applied glaze, then seal, the BH has fillers so i dont think it should go on top of UPGP? and someone told me that on the UPGP instructions it said full cure is 6-12 hours

Bullitt AK
07-26-2010, 11:46 PM
If personal and you really want to use that glaze:

normally i don't even use it but the cars were well maintained and they dont need to be polished, just some light imperfections so i decided to go with it

Bullitt AK
07-27-2010, 12:10 AM
i think ill just use PPP then UPGP then wax and drop the glaze

CEE DOG
07-27-2010, 06:46 AM
ok thanks for the informative post. this is not for personal use but for clients cars, i was going to clay, PC applied glaze, then seal, the BH has fillers so i dont think it should go on top of UPGP? and someone told me that on the UPGP instructions it said full cure is 6-12 hours

Oh, OK. Sorry, I was assuming it was your car. Thats why I said 24 hours. You certainly don't really need that long. I just figured it couldn't hurt if it was your own car. 12 hours would probably be more then enough. I have layered after 11 hours before with no ill effects.

Begin copy/paste:
"How long does Ultima Paint Guard Plus take to dry or cure?
Ultima Paint Guard Plus can be dry to the touch, but not cured. Depending on the temperature and humidity, Ultima Paint Guard Plus can dry in as little as 15 minutes, but it can take as long as a few hours. Curing, which means the polymers have fully cross linked, requires a full 6+ hours. We recommend allowing your car to sit overnight before wiping."
End copy/paste:

i think ill just use PPP then UPGP

If it's for clients cars you could go either way with this. The PPP will help the durability of the UPGP but even without it the UPGP is going to last longer then they probably expect it to.

BobbyG
07-27-2010, 06:47 AM
The 3 sealants I use are;

Poorboy’s EX-P paint sealant
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant

I let these cure for 8 hours or so then I'm all set if I decide to add an additional coat or wash without fear of compromising the protective layer.

Showroom Shine
07-27-2010, 08:02 AM
WGDGPS! Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant says to let cure for a few hours. I at least let it stay on 2 hours when I apply it to my detail truck. With customers, it all depends on how soon they want to drive the vehicle. Especially daily drivers. I have seen better results with the added cure time!

Bullitt AK
07-27-2010, 09:43 AM
well i can understand upgp taking 6 hours or so, on clients cars i can get to it ASAP then work on the rest of the vehicle while its curing and then speed wipe it or whatever but how do you guys do multiple coats on a vehicle on customer cars? do you come back or..?

i think im gonna do one of my cars with PPP then UPGP only and then try my other car with PPP,UPGP, and a wax 6 hours after sealant to see how much if any durability is compromised...

CEE DOG
07-27-2010, 10:17 AM
well i can understand upgp taking 6 hours or so, on clients cars i can get to it ASAP then work on the rest of the vehicle while its curing and then speed wipe it or whatever but how do you guys do multiple coats on a vehicle on customer cars? do you come back or..?

i think im gonna do one of my cars with PPP then UPGP only and then try my other car with PPP,UPGP, and a wax 6 hours after sealant to see how much if any durability is compromised...

Your customers don't need more then 1 coat.

Durability is still measured in multiple months even without using PPP. Just make sure if you don't use PPP you do clean the paint between polishing and UPGP.

Bunky
07-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Your customers don't need more then 1 coat.

Durability is still measured in multiple months even without using PPP. Just make sure if you don't use PPP you do clean the paint between polishing and UPGP.

I cannot image a working production detailer (not doing restorations) would apply multi-coats of a sealant with long cure times. They would need to charge for storing the vehicle too.:D

Bullitt AK
07-27-2010, 10:58 AM
well as far as waxing...do you usually not wax it until you do their car next time? or u think i can get by with 6 hours cure and pc applied wax