PDA

View Full Version : Swirls on new car, need help!!!!

touringsedan
07-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Okay, so the title is a little misleading, the car didnt have swirls two days ago. Bought a new car and the wife took it to get the windows treated and the undercarriage rust proofed (I told her not to take it through the car wash). When I come home I go to wash the car because I know they usually get spray everywhere from the rustproofing and the windows, windows not so much. I walk up to the beautiful new shining vehicle sitting in the sun and I see swirls everywhere and I notice it is relatively clean. I go back inside and ask her about it and she says she took it through the local drive through wash. I thought people where exagerating before but now I know why they call them swirl o matics. So she says she thought I would be mad that it was so dirty afterwards and she had it cleaned at the swirl o matic. Now when she got her new car I got on her a lot because she would let bird droppings and other stuff sit on the paint. Since then I would tease her pretty good every once in a while and well it looks like it back fired on me. What are the chances the swirls are in the top coat of nuba I put on it? (probably wishful thinking i'm afraid) Anyway back to the real problem:

I need to remove swirls but have no access to a garage ( I have heard Mike stress the importance of a clean environment when doing this type of work but I dont have access to a completely clean one). I live in apartments and the closest thing is the parking garage across the lake or my dads front yard under one of those big tents. I am leaning towards the parking garage. What says the hive mind?

I am thinking about the wolfgang twins and the appropriate pads and backing plates. Yay or Nay?

Any suggestions/help is fully welcome. Thanks in advance,

TS :buffing:

Mike Phillips
07-26-2010, 05:41 PM
What are the chances the swirls are in the top coat of nuba I put on it? (probably wishful thinking i'm afraid) Anyway back to the real problem:

Chances are good the swirls are in the paint... sorry to say...

I need to remove swirls but have no access to a garage ( I have heard Mike stress the importance of a clean environment when doing this type of work but I dont have access to a completely clean one). I live in apartments and the closest thing is the parking garage across the lake or my dads front yard under one of those big tents. I am leaning towards the parking garage. What says the hive mind?

Go for the parking garage, you'll be out of the sun and wind, the shade will help keep the surface cool.

I am thinking about the Wolfgang twins and the appropriate pads and backing plates. Yay or Nay?

I did some testing today on a black Mercedes-Benz and I used the Wolfgang Twins as my benchmark products because to date, they have the best record for leaving behind a clear, defect free finish even after an Isopropyl Alcohol wipe-down.

:)

touringsedan
07-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks Mike. Now I need to head off to the store.

Erik Mejia
07-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Okay, so the title is a little misleading, the car didnt have swirls two days ago. Bought a new car and the wife took it to get the windows treated and the undercarriage rust proofed (I told her not to take it through the car wash). When I come home I go to wash the car because I know they usually get spray everywhere from the rustproofing and the windows, windows not so much. I walk up to the beautiful new shining vehicle sitting in the sun and I see swirls everywhere and I notice it is relatively clean. I go back inside and ask her about it and she says she took it through the local drive through wash. I thought people where exagerating before but now I know why they call them swirl o matics. So she says she thought I would be mad that it was so dirty afterwards and she had it cleaned at the swirl o matic. Now when she got her new car I got on her a lot because she would let bird droppings and other stuff sit on the paint. Since then I would tease her pretty good every once in a while and well it looks like it back fired on me. What are the chances the swirls are in the top coat of nuba I put on it? (probably wishful thinking i'm afraid) Anyway back to the real problem:

I am thinking about the wolfgang twins and the appropriate pads and backing plates. Yay or Nay?

Any suggestions/help is fully welcome. Thanks in advance,

TS :buffing:

Will you be working by hand or Machine?

If by machine? What kind do you own?

If keeping the car clean while you work is a problem, then try and splitting the car up into sections and work sections at a time. Try maybe doing the hood and the fenders one weekend, and the next do the doors or so. Its your car so just maintain the results and take it slow, until you get the entire vehicle done. Mike P mentioned this method after an MOL member mentioned it to him, seems like a sound way to do a car that you have endless amounts of time to complete. Keeping a QD around during the process will allow you to clean a section prior to polishing.

Also don't forget to get yourself a pair of grit guards and two buckets if you don't already own some. Taking control of the wash, will ensure that you avoid those nasty little swirl critters.

Hope this helps.:xyxthumbs: