PDA

View Full Version : Holograms after hand waxing ?

JohnnyC
07-26-2010, 04:49 PM
I noticed a couple of times after waxing a car by hand that i got some slight holograms on the surface of the paint. I was told that i didn't wait long enough for the oils in the wax to set before removing,is this true and if that is so then would i have the same problem with the Pinnacle Signature series II even though it says you don't have to wait for it to fully haze before removing.

Mike Phillips
09-04-2010, 11:27 AM
It could just be product residue, nothing to worry about...

In a perfect world, after wiping your last application of wax or paint sealant off the paint, you would stop touching the paint and let the protection ingredients fully set-up.

Every time you touch a freshly waxed or sealed surface, that is withing a short time after final wipe-off... you disrupt or move around, and even remove the protection ingredients...

That's why I laugh when I see people wiping and wiping and wiping their car's paint AFTER they've already wiped the wax off...

It's kind of a natural reflex to want to continue to "touch" your car's paint but in a perfect world, after final wipe-off... back away from the car...

Leave it alone and let the magic happen on the surface.

Then, later.. if you see any trace residues, like streaks or smears, then wipe them off using a slow, wiping action with your best microfiber.

From this article...

How to break open a coating of wax and remove it by creeping out... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/28204-how-break-open-coating-wax-remove-creeping-out.html)

Excerpt...

At the end of the above video I go over "The Final Wipe Technique"

I mess up my words and don't get the idea of how doing a slow wipe enables you to go faster by slowing down so I'll explain it here...

If the goal is to remove all the polish, wax or paint sealant to leave a streak free finish, then the ultimate goal besides removing all trace residues is getting to the point where you are in fact... finished. As in you don't need to touch the paint any longer.

The Final Wipe technique is a technique that enables you to remove all trace residues out of all the microscopic surface imperfections that the human eye cannot see but where product residue can accumulate.

If you think about it...streaks left in the paint is un-removed product... (what else could it be?)

If you ever watch people wipe wax off their car they usually look like what we call "The Wild Man Technique", which is actually a bad thing and it's a description of someone moving their hand at the speed of light like some kind of frantic crazy person trying to wipe wax off their car.

Think about it... if you're moving a polishing cloth over the paint at light speed, how much time is there for product or trace residues to transfer from the surface to the cloth moving overhead?

Nanoseconds?

Now think about this... if you s-l-o-w... d-o-w-n... if you purposefully move a clean, soft microfiber slowly over the paint you give the trace residues plenty of time to transfer from the paint to the fibers of the cloth...

If in fact you successfully remove all the product including the trace residues off the surface then you reach your goal, you finish. You reach your goal faster by slowing down...

Pushing a microfiber polishing cloth over the paint at light speed makes you look like you're moving fast but you're not getting the job done... you're not finishing. You're spinning your wheels and probably inflicting toweling marks back into the paint...

So slow down to speed up...

There's a lot more in the article...

:)