PDA

View Full Version : Surbuf pad users, question...

WRAPT C5Z06
07-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I took on a black jetta today the was heavily swirled, oxidized, and lots of crow feet. Anyhow, the lady just wanted me to polish the hood and roof(looked much worse than the rest of the car). So, I went to work with mt Flex 3401, surbuf, and optimum hyper compound *spray*. I was able to remove the swirls and oxidation and bring the color back. However, the surbuf pads left behind a ton of micro-marring. I then used optimum hyper polish *spray* with a white pad. It helped remove som of the micro-marring, but there was still a good amount left. I tried M205 and a white pad and got close to the same results. I didn't have any pads in between surbuf and white. What could I have used in between surbuf/compound and white/polish? 85rd didn't touch the marring.

FWIW, the lady called me a magician as I was able to remove the heavy swirls, oxidation, and bring the color back. She didn't notice the micro-marring, but it was very noticeable to me.

Matt S.
07-26-2010, 03:27 PM
When I've used Surbuf pads with M105, going straight to M205 just didn't work. I always had to go over it with M105/orange afterwards, and then go to my finishing polish...for whatever that's worth.

Another thing worth mentioning is if you use too much pressure, the level of micromarring increases greatly. Try using less pressure next time.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
When I've used Surbuf pads with M105, going straight to M205 just didn't work. I always had to go over it with M105/orange afterwards, and then go to my finishing polish...for whatever that's worth.

Another thing worth mentioning is if you use too much pressure, the level of micromarring increases greatly. Try using less pressure next time.
Ok, so M105/surbuf, M105/orange, then M205/white or gray? Or, another finishing polish?

Thanks dude. :props:

redg35
07-27-2010, 06:41 AM
I used menz sip with the surbuf pads and it took all the bad stuff out but left heavy hazing so i went with sip on a white pad and it cleaned up quite nice.

A4 1.8tqm
07-27-2010, 07:41 AM
:iagree: Sometimes you gotta move in smaller steps. Same polish, lighter pad.

Never used Surbuff's or the Optimum spray's but my guess is because you jumped from a heavy cut(able) surbuff pad used w/ a compound, to a polishing pad and a finishing polish. Try the surbuff with the polish, or the polishing pad with the compound. Something for an intermediate step in between. :xyxthumbs:

jlb85
07-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Yep, do 2 steps of M105. Sometime M105 on surbuf cleans down enough to use M205 on the rotary, but chasing the surbuf with M105 on an orange pad definitely helps.

Also, I find the Bryan Burnworth Method works exceptionally well, and makes the surbufs finish down twice as good. Like the Kevin Brown method, this involves spritzing water on the flashed polish to "re-activate" and continue the cutting. For the Surbuf, you want to keep the pad as clean as possible, and although very dusty, the water spritz seems to help clean the pad some.

The "Jacob and Mark" take ;) on Bryan's take on Kevin's method is to use IPA instead of straight water. Dusting goes up significantly, but the splatter is easier to remove (with our weather) and the pad virtually goes completely clean between cycles. A quick brush makes then good as new for the next panel. Play with the alcohol content to match your weather. More alcohol = quicker flash. Too much Alcohol and the flash point becomes quite violent and will mar the paint. Start at 75% water and work up to 50% if you need it to work quicker. Note the pads will degrade faster using this method, similarly to foam pads and KBM on the Griots, since you are pushing the temperatures up much more. The machine also heats up more at the center of the pad, causing the pads to wear quicker. Foam pads last for a whole car, barely. Surbufs seem to last a few cars, about 3 to 4. Alternating machines and pads helps control the degrading temps. Changing pads on a hot machine helps, but is short lived. Remove the foam and backing plate from the machine while letting cool off. Using the KBM or the BBM on foam pads is probably more harsh on pads than the rotary!

We actually have quite a few write-ups using the surbufs. In one, an old Olds 442, did a one step with the surbufs. On another, a jet black 135i, did a surbuf M105 Griots + orange M105 Makita rotary + black M205 Makita + blue Ultrafina Makita + blue Ultrafina PC process.

I should post some of them up. If you want, google search for those threads in the meantime.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone!:dblthumb2:

Excellent info jlb85.

VR8
09-27-2010, 12:10 PM
I've been tempted to try the Surbuf myself but was wondering about the backing plate on my Flex. Since it doesn't have a flexible plate, maybe that is what was causing the extra marring? Did you use the 5.5 inch Surbuf?

CEE DOG
09-27-2010, 12:19 PM
I wonder if stepping from M105 Sur-buf to ________ tangerine HT would work out nice for you. I know you don't have the tangerine but I be that would work nicely.

bodavenport
09-27-2010, 12:28 PM
I went from sur-buf with Megs UC to D-151 and liked the combo,