PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant Question

BobbyG
07-26-2010, 11:09 AM
There are a number of paint sealants available today and I probably have most of them. :laughing:

Some require a curing time before subjecting it to moisture but I don't see anything line that listed anywhere on the bottle. Apply a very thin coat, let haze, then buff off with a Microfiber towel according to Menzerna. The gloss is incredible by itself and it actually look wet.

Does this mean I can wax over it as soon as I'm through buffing? I want to use Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Wax to give it added depth and protection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :xyxthumbs:

Mindflux
07-26-2010, 11:13 AM
It's best with any sealant that doesn't use a curing accelerant some cure time. The solvents found in waxes can disturb the sealant layer if it hasn't had time to cure. Give it 8 hours :)

Of course, if you don't want to wait you could always use something like Zaino Z2Pro with ZFX. I'm not sure about the "Polycharged" sealants as far as how fast they cure, so 4*UPP, BFWD etc might be a bit different.

Mike Phillips
07-26-2010, 01:07 PM
It's best with any sealant that doesn't use a curing accelerant some cure time. The solvents found in waxes can disturb the sealant layer if it hasn't had time to cure. Give it 8 hours :)

I would agree with the above and add this that just that act of pushing any kind of liquid over a freshly applied coating can have a disturbing effect, that is you can disturb or move around the freshly applied protection ingredients.

Also, using the word "Solvent" usually invokes ideas of Petroleum Distillates such as Stoddard Solvent, Naphtha or Mineral Spirits when in fact water is a solvent and in order to meet V.O.C. requirements some companies will use water as the carrying agent or suspension agent and rely less on what we think of in the traditional use of the word solvent.

If you don't want to wait and even if you do wait, remember if you're topping one product with another product that it should be a very gentle procedure.

:)

Mindflux
07-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Also, using the word "Solvent" usually invokes ideas of Petroleum Distillates such as Stoddard Solvent, Naphtha or Mineral Spirits when in fact water is a solvent and in order to meet V.O.C. requirements some companies will use water as the carrying agent or suspension agent and rely less on what we think of in the traditional use of the word solvent.

Well that all depends how old the wax is they are using for a topper is. Knowing some of the members here they have some waxes going on 40+ years old :p

Mike Phillips
07-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Well that all depends how old the wax is they are using for a topper is. Knowing some of the members here they have some waxes going on 40+ years old :p

I have a can of Simonize from probably the mid 1930's and it has a very strong solvent odor, strong enough to make you not want to smell it a second time...

BobbyG
07-26-2010, 04:37 PM

Hey, I resemble that remark!! :laughing: :laughing:

Not too long ago I was cleaning out a cabinet in the garage and uncovered an artifact from the mid 60's, it was a can of Kit Car Wax. Once I got it open I found that it was half used but very hard. If memory serves me correctly it was a tan creamy paste when it was new...

Every time I take a stroll down memory lane I have to pack a lunch it's gotten so long! :laughing: