PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Clearcoated GM wheels

CEE DOG
07-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Have you guys found the clearcoat on wheels to be a lot harder then what is on the rest of the car? I was polishing my Saturn Sky 08 wheels over the weekend. I used the Mothers power cone with WTSR... didn't touch it.... Switched to M105.... Didn't touch it...
The powerball foam is a lot softer then I would like which I think is most of the problem but I would have thought I would see some kind of difference. Probably going to do them by hand or try to get my FLex 3401/edge 4" in there.
Any suggestions?
Best polish to use by hand for this?

C. Charles Hahn
07-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Interesting that M105 wouldn't touch the wheels using a PowerCone. I pretty much exclusively use the cone with M80 for GM wheels and the combo has always done a great job for me.

The BSMachine
07-26-2010, 08:48 AM
If the Rim is clear coated, you need to STRIP the rim of that said clear coat and then polish and either have it re coated or just keep up on the polishing/waxing.

As long as you have not damaged the coating, the best thing you can do is keep it clean and washed regularly.

Every so many months I hit all my GM Coated Rims with some water and then spray down the tire and rim with Bleech White, Scrub with a brush and rinse. Re hit areas that are still nasty and go from there.

IF you keep up on the rim though that process should not be needed.

CEE DOG
07-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Interesting that M105 wouldn't touch the wheels using a PowerCone. I pretty much exclusively use the cone with M80 for GM wheels and the combo has always done a great job for me.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised myself. Gonna get back in there next weekend.

Need another powercone?

ScottB
07-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Mike suggested in another post that wheel clearcoat perhaps is different than paint clearcoat used on body of car. While I am not sure personally, I do feel they likely spray it on thicker and it isnt as clear as finish so perhaps it is a different breed. What is clear, you still need to treat it like clearcoat versus metal.

Phinox
07-26-2010, 11:29 AM
You may have powder coated clear on your wheel which is very tough stuff. I know Ford and GM use it on the rims of some cars.

Jim D.
07-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Wheel clearcoat is indeed a different specification than body paint.

I've had good luck with Mothers Plastic Polish which offers a one step cleaner wax like funcion; or when the going gets tough, Scratch Remover, followed by a wax for protection.

Explicit Shine
07-26-2010, 03:44 PM
My 04 Sierra has clear coated wheels....
I used the LC wool ball the 3" one and M105 with good results...
I used this combo with a 3/8" corded keyless check drill
One this is for sure that this is some hard clear and it does take a while.
I like to use #476 to seal the wheel when i am done.:buffing:

Mike Phillips
07-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Best polish to use by hand for this?

Try the M105 by hand because you can exert a lot of pressure with just a few fingers to a small area and increase the abrading action of the process. Then re-polish being less aggressive for a final finish.

Wheel paint is hard. I've tried polishing the paint on the wheel on my Jimmy a few times now and for the value it adds compared to the work required I'm happy now just to apply a cleaner/wax to make them clear and shiny and move on...

The current wheels are American Racing Wheels with a high gloss black finish. When I get home if I'm lucky I'll have an e-mail letting me know a set of slotted mags are still available in Daytona Beach and I'm going to buy them and swap tires around.

Straight aluminum oxidizes but at least you can work on it and if you keep it up its' not that bad to keep up a good shine...

:)

CEE DOG
07-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the tips and comments guys.

Mike suggested in another post that wheel clearcoat perhaps is different than paint clearcoat used on body of car. While I am not sure personally, I do feel they likely spray it on thicker and it isnt as clear as finish so perhaps it is a different breed. What is clear, you still need to treat it like clearcoat versus metal.

Thanks Scott, I saw that. Almost piggybacked on that thread but thought it a little thread jackish. Yeah, thats some seriously hard stuff on my wheels!

My 04 Sierra has clear coated wheels....
I used the LC wool ball the 3" one and M105 with good results...
I used this combo with a 3/8" corded keyless check drill
One this is for sure that this is some hard clear and it does take a while.
I like to use #476 to seal the wheel when i am done.:buffing:
Thanks for the tip. After spending 30 on the powercone I'm going to see what I can do by hand and go from there.

Try the M105 by hand because you can exert a lot of pressure with just a few fingers to a small area and increase the abrading action of the process. Then re-polish being less aggressive for a final finish.

Thanks Mike, looks like good advice. I was talking to Tad about this as well. He cut a piece of an old Cyan HT pad and worked it by hand with M105. I think I'll try the same.

Wheel paint is hard. I've tried polishing the paint on the wheel on my Jimmy a few times now and for the value it adds compared to the work required I'm happy now just to apply a cleaner/wax to make them clear and shiny and move on...

Man, you're telling me! I had the same reaction. I had done a bunch of work on the car all day and had everything in tip top shape. All I had left to do was seal the wheels and tires. I'd been putting off polishing those wheels forever and had a bit of time so I went for it. After working on that little section for 20-30 minutes with no results I decided to run and live to fight another day with a different weapon. Sealed them up with some PB wheel sealant and got the tires with some Ultima T&TGP

The current wheels are American Racing Wheels with a high gloss black finish. When I get home if I'm lucky I'll have an e-mail letting me know a set of slotted mags are still available in Daytona Beach and I'm going to buy them and swap tires around.

Those sound nice. If you get them and have a chance I'd love to see some pics. Good luck!

Mike Phillips
07-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Those sound nice. If you get them and have a chance I'd love to see some pics. Good luck!

Looks like they're sold already... they were the match to the one in this video...

How to clean and polish aluminum wheels by machine with Flitz Metal Polish (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-videos/25403-video-how-clean-polish-aluminum-wheels-machine-flitz-metal-polish.html)

I have two wheels, I need 2 more and the wider the better. Most of what I can find are 10" wide and I'd like to find 12" or even 14" if they exist.

Here's the two I have...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/862/FlitzVideoSC012.jpg

Saving the one on the right side for a second aluminum polish extreme makeover...

cobalt9123
07-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Corey, the clear is definitely thicker and/or harder on my clear-coated GM wheels. I'm hoping to never polish them out as I take precautions not to scratch them as much as possible ;)

CEE DOG
07-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Looks like they're sold already... they were the match to the one in this video...

How to clean and polish aluminum wheels by machine with Flitz Metal Polish (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-videos/25403-video-how-clean-polish-aluminum-wheels-machine-flitz-metal-polish.html)

I have two wheels, I need 2 more and the wider the better. Most of what I can find are 10" wide and I'd like to find 12" or even 14" if they exist.

Here's the two I have...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/862/FlitzVideoSC012.jpg

Saving the one on the right side for a second aluminum polish extreme makeover...

Mike, thanks for the pics and the video. Sorry you didn't get the wheels. Well, now you get to keep hunting:)

I just saw the video. The sellers idea of good condition must have meant you can still put a tire on it! Like that Flitz ball. When I saw it at DF I really liked it too but I had already bought the powercone. Have you used it with clearcoat rather then aluminum? Any idea how easy removing the paint ends up working out?

Corey, the clear is definitely thicker and/or harder on my clear-coated GM wheels. I'm hoping to never polish them out as I take precautions not to scratch them as much as possible ;) I hear that! I've tried to take care of mine but they were a bit scratchy already off the lot. Underneath the clear isn't perfect either (something Scott mentioned awile back is quite common on the GM wheels) so maybe TBS Machine has a point. I'll have to look into exactly what I would be taking on with removing the paint.