PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet to apply wax

Emm
07-25-2010, 06:12 AM
I always use a micofiber bonnet over a wool leveling pad to remove wax with my PC7424. But yesterday I was applying Natty's red paste wax, and found it difficult to apply with a red LC 5" pad. So I wet a microfiber bonnet and applied the wax with it. It was much easier, does anyone else use this method? Is there a difference applying with a LC pad vs. a micro bonnet?

Rsurfer
07-25-2010, 07:57 AM
I always use a micofiber bonnet over a wool leveling pad to remove wax with my PC7424. But yesterday I was applying Natty's red paste wax, and found it difficult to apply with a red LC 5" pad. So I wet a microfiber bonnet and applied the wax with it. It was much easier, does anyone else use this method? Is there a difference applying with a LC pad vs. a micro bonnet?
You will use more wax and create more static.

Emm
07-25-2010, 08:15 AM
You will use more wax and create more static.

More static? It turned out pretty nice, and was quick. What are the drawbacks with applying with a bonnet? I always tend to use too much wax

ScottB
07-25-2010, 08:48 AM
I apply/buff by hand, but if using a buffer I would prefer a foam pad only for application.

Emm
07-25-2010, 08:52 AM
I apply/buff by hand, but if using a buffer I would prefer a foam pad only for application.

Have you used natty's red? If so whats the best way to get it from container to pad? I just found it easier to apply with bonnet. Does it make a difference pad or bonnet?

Rsurfer
07-25-2010, 08:54 AM
More static? It turned out pretty nice, and was quick. What are the drawbacks with applying with a bonnet? I always tend to use too much wax
No one said it didn't turn out good. You just create more static which in turn will attract more dust. Like you and I said, you use too much wax with a bonnet vrs. a foam applicator.

Emm
07-25-2010, 09:01 AM
No one said it didn't turn out good. You just create more static which in turn will attract more dust. Like you and I said, you use too much wax with a bonnet vrs. a foam applicator.

I meant no matter how I apply wax I use too much. I was having a hard time with the natty's red and my LC red pad, so I decided to try it with a bonnet, and seemed to work pretty well. (I wasn't sure what you had meant by static from the bonnet) when you wet the bonnet it tends to lessen any static

Mike Phillips
07-25-2010, 10:15 AM
so I decided to try it with a bonnet, and seemed to work pretty well.

If it's working for you I can't see any downside to using a bonnet to apply wax. This is how it's been done with traditional orbital buffers since they've been around. In a "Production Detail" situation wasting wax isn't an issue because once the bonnet is wetted with wax then you'll cut down on the amount of waxed used for each next car buffed.

For and individual that will stop waxing after usually a single car, then about the time your bonnet is wetted with wax you'll be getting closer to being finished and so there would be more waste or more wax unused if you want to get technical but most people are happy just to apply by machine that it's a non-issue.

I personally prefer to apply all waxes and paint sealants by machine with foam pads but again, whatever works best for you is all that really matters.

(I wasn't sure what you had meant by static from the bonnet) when you wet the bonnet it tends to lessen any static

Rubbing something dry over paint will tend to create static and it can be mostly removed by wiping the surface with something that includes water if it's a problem. Applying wax with a bonnet that becomes wet with product shouldn't be a major cause for static.

:)

Emm
07-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks Mike, I always soak the bonnet in water then ring it out when I wax.

Mike have you used natty's red wax/ If so how do you apply it from jar to pad? I tried to use a foam applicator then rub it on a red LC pad but it didn't work so well

lyzing
07-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks Mike, I always soak the bonnet in water then ring it out when I wax.

Mike have you used natty's red wax/ If so how do you apply it from jar to pad? I tried to use a foam applicator then rub it on a red LC pad but it didn't work so well

My Nattys red paste was pretty thin and oily (is this normal??) so I put it in the freezer to harden it up, then i took wax paper (anything non-stick, rubber gloves would work well too).

I put a small amount on the wax paper from the jar and then spread it !!THINLY AND EVENLY!! over a very slightly damp 6.5" LC blue pad with the wax paper and applied it at speed 2. This worked very well for me, got 3 panels per application of wax on the pad, and ended up using only a very small amount. It worked very well, I'm not going to apply by hand anymore.

You could do it with a putty knife or anything non-porous really, but the key is don't get a big glob of it in the pad or you're going to waste a bunch.

Emile
07-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Try misting the foam pad with water and then spreading the Natty's Wax on it.

Natty's Red is a thick/hard paste, it shouldn't be soft or anything like that. You should be able to cut it with a knife and pull it out in one big block to apply to the pad. I originally purchased 6 pots of Natty's Red and all of my pots have the same consistency.

Emm
07-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I soak my bonnet in water, then ring it out. You take the whole thing out?