PDA

View Full Version : Tell me if i'm going to aggressive....look at the pic.

Rez90
07-23-2010, 07:54 PM
So today i started my buddies 1972 chevy pick up. tonight i washed and clayed the outside. Paint is looking to be in pretty good shape. While claying i noticed a little bit of the paint on the clay. Made me wonder.

So i decided to prep the outside tonight and do the entire interior. Part of the interior is painted metal just like the exterior of the car. So i thought i'd kind of use it as a test spot to see how everything was going to go. I used my PC with a white 4 inch CCS pad with Poorboys SSR1. A very light combo IMO. Well....the paint on the inside of the truck looks OUTSTANDING. but i was left with this on my pad.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1816/getattachmentaspxnc.jpg

Is this a bad sign? Should i even attempt to polish the outside? or should i use a grey pad instead with the SSR1. I don't think i have a lighter polish...

Or should i just say screw it and go right to Megs #7 on a blue pad...

Your thoughts. Thanks

jlb85
07-23-2010, 08:23 PM
More than likely the paint is single stage, and the blue color left on your pad is normal. Don't worry too much about it.

Still, I would recommend Meg's #7 (or any glaze really) as I find it really deepens the color on single stage finishes. If you have the time, try it out and see if it makes enough of a difference.

Rez90
07-23-2010, 08:31 PM
More than likely the paint is single stage, and the blue color left on your pad is normal. Don't worry too much about it.

Still, I would recommend Meg's #7 (or any glaze really) as I find it really deepens the color on single stage finishes. If you have the time, try it out and see if it makes enough of a difference.

I was planning on using the #7 after polishing anyway. I will do a test spot on the outside tomorrow with the SSR1 and then #7 and another test spot with just #7 and see which comes out better. Thanks for the response.

Anyone else have thoughts? The only other light polish i have is Menz nano polish 106. Should i give that a try?

Thanks.

Mike Phillips
07-23-2010, 09:35 PM
So today i started my buddies 1972 chevy pick up.

Like jlb85 said, you're working on single stage paint which was the norm for that vintage. Even if it's a repaint because it's 38 years old, the repaint is probably old and thus single stage.

As you're working on this truck lock into your memory the experience of buffing on what's probably a very soft enamel and like you said, with the right products it will buff up to a very high gloss. As mentioned, the #7 Show Car Glaze will penetrate into old paints like this where it will act to bring out the full richness of color, sometimes people will refer this to a "Darkening Effect", which is a good thing for a pigmented single stage paint.

If the exterior is a single stage paint, then this is probably a great candidate for great extreme before and after pictures but there's also a chance it's too late? Read through this article and see if it's too late...

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/21216-power-after-shots-created-before-shots.html)

Anyone else have thoughts? The only other light polish i have is Menz nano polish 106. Should i give that a try?

Thanks.

The Menz Nano Polish PO106FA works great as a finishing polish and even more so on an enamel paint. Do this,

Wash
Clay
Poorboy's SSR1
Menz PO106FA
Megs M07

Then put the frosting on the cake and seal her up with your choice of wax or paint sealant...

If you confirm the exterior paint is single stage and it's oxidized, then be sure to clean your pads often as you'll be pulling pigmented paint and at the same time you'll have spent product building up on the face of the pad. So get some clean terry cloth towels to use to clean your pad on the fly.

Do you have a pictures of the condition of the paint on the hood?

:)

Rez90
07-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Like jlb85 said, you're working on single stage paint which was the norm for that vintage. Even if it's a repaint because it's 38 years old, the repaint is probably old and thus single stage.

As you're working on this truck lock into your memory the experience of buffing on what's probably a very soft enamel and like you said, with the right products it will buff up to a very high gloss. As mentioned, the #7 Show Car Glaze will penetrate into old paints like this where it will act to bring out the full richness of color, sometimes people will refer this to a "Darkening Effect", which is a good thing for a pigmented single stage paint.

If the exterior is a single stage paint, then this is probably a great candidate for great extreme before and after pictures but there's also a chance it's too late? Read through this article and see if it's too late...

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/21216-power-after-shots-created-before-shots.html)

The Menz Nano Polish PO106FA works great as a finishing polish and even more so on an enamel paint. Do this,

Wash
Clay
Poorboy's SSR1
Menz PO106FA
Megs M07

Then put the frosting on the cake and seal her up with your choice of wax or paint sealant...

If you confirm the exterior paint is single stage and it's oxidized, then be sure to clean your pads often as you'll be pulling pigmented paint and at the same time you'll have spent product building up on the face of the pad. So get some clean terry cloth towels to use to clean your pad on the fly.

Do you have a pictures of the condition of the paint on the hood?

Mike,

Thanks very much for the response. Truthfully the paint seems to be in very good condition. No oxidation, some scratches (That are all the way through the paint, so there's not much happening with them), but overall a very clean surface. What i'm trying to do most is richen the depth and enhance the gloss.

I have 2 quick questions regarding the process you mentioned.

1st...with the SSR1, 106, and #7 which pads do you recommend i use. I will be using a flex with 6.5 inch CCS pads. I have orange, course green, green, white, black, and blue.

2nd...This will be my first time working with #7 glaze. is this a product that needs to be worked like a polish or does it simply get applied with the DA and wiped off like a sealant/wax?

Thanks very much for all of the help. with your help, I'm pretty confident this truck is going to look amazing by tomorrow.

Thanks again

Mike Phillips
07-23-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm going to break your reply up and dissect it a little...

Truthfully the paint seems to be in very good condition. No oxidation, some scratches (That are all the way through the paint, so there's not much happening with them), but overall a very clean surface.

Lucky you and lucky owner. Have you tested the major exterior panels and confirmed they are single stage?

What i'm trying to do most is richen the depth and enhance the gloss.

A "good" picture of the hood would help a lot... the sides are usually always in better shape so the hood is a good reference point to the worst case condition of the paint.

I have 2 quick questions regarding the process you mentioned.

1st...with the SSR1, 106, and #7 which pads do you recommend i use. I will be using a flex with 6.5 inch CCS pads. I have orange, course green, green, white, black, and blue.

Well according to what you said here,

Truthfully the paint seems to be in very good condition. No oxidation, some scratches (That are all the way through the paint, so there's not much happening with them), but overall a very clean surface.

If it's single stage and it's not badly oxidized, then you should only need some light cleaning and polishing to insure the surface is thoroughly clean from any surface contamination and any shallow swirls and scratches are removed.

If the above is all that's needed then stick with a polishing pad for both the Poorboy's and the Menzerna or if you want to lighten up use a finishing pad for the Menzerna.

You can use either a polishing pad or a finishing pad with the M07 but normally if your previous step is done with a finishing pad you don't switch up to a polishing pad, it's kind of like working backwards.

Single stage paints polish out so easy...

2nd...This will be my first time working with #7 glaze. is this a product that needs to be worked like a polish or does it simply get applied with the DA and wiped off like a sealant/wax?

Apply like a finishing wax, that is 2-3 passes over each square inch medium fast for your arm speed and then move on...

It's easy enough to apply and work in you can certainly apply by hand using a foam applicator pad, it's actually a pretty good arm workout, applying and then removing with no break to an entire car. :D

You don't let this dry so wipe off as you work around the car. Some people confident in their skill and experience with #7 would apply to the entire car and then remove.

If you've never used M07 before then you should apply to just have the hood and then wipe it off and see how you like it. If you leave behind a thick layer of product it will be a tad difficult to wipe off because it's very oily. One trick to wiping it off is to only try to wipe as small swath of product off at a time instead of trying to remove large patches at a time, it's because it's oily and another meaning for oily can be sticky...

Also turn to a clean side OFTEN and replace spent towels with fresh towels.

Mike Phillips
07-23-2010, 10:13 PM
There's some #7 info here...

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html)

The above article is the one published on the AutoTraderClassic.com (http://www.autotraderclassics.com/car-article/Restoring+Single+Stage+Paint%3A+Part+1-65310.xhtml?conversationId=21363) website...

Rez90
07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
i didn't get a change to take before pics and plus the atmosphere was totally different. but here's a pic of my pads (lol) and a couple shots. I used one white CCS pad and moved to Burgundy hydrotech pads. I went over the whole truck with SSR1, Menz 106, Megs #7, and topped it with Poorboys Natty Blue.

Cheers

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/424/img1292f.jpg
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/6848/img1293zb.jpg
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/981/img1298o.jpg

jayhkr
07-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Wow, that's a sharp looking truck. You're friend must be grinning from ear to ear and them some!! WTG!

Mike Phillips
07-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Wow!

The truck looks better than new! The paint just gleems....

Now tell us... besides the blue pigment coming off onto your pads and microfiber towles...

How did you like working on a single stage paint?

Great Job!

:dblthumb2:

jlb85
07-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Dang the truck looks great! Mad props on a good job! I would love to see more pics of it ;)

Glad it worked out!

Rez90
07-25-2010, 09:53 AM
How did you like working on a single stage paint?

:dblthumb2:

Truthfully.....it wasn't bad at all. BUT like i said the paint was in pretty good shape to begin with.

I feel lucky in that respect because if it had major issue's i would have been very nervous to attack it with something more aggressive.

But thats how you learn right?

Thanks very much for all the help!