PDA

View Full Version : single stage paint polish

cadd
07-23-2010, 07:50 PM
A buddy of mine has an early 1970's model buick, that he wants me to polish and wax. Anyone have input on which is the better polish for single stage paint?
Thanks

Rez90
07-23-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm doing the outside of a 1972 chevy pickup first thing tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it turns out...

cadd
07-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Sounds good..thanks. Good luck. Unfortunately, I live down here in south Louisiana, so we are getting ready for Hurrican Bonnie, so needless to say, I wont be doing any detailing for the next few days. But hey..I got plenty of gas for my generator and 10 cases of water...so Bring it on Bonnie !!!

cadd
07-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Oh and of course 2 cases of beer on ice !!!!

Bullitt AK
07-23-2010, 09:15 PM
aside from being on older vehicles, what is a way can you tell for sure if it is a single stage paint or basecoat/clearcoat paint?

cadd
07-23-2010, 09:22 PM
I could be wrong, but from what I have heard from others on here...if the paint comes off on the pad, then its single stage

cadd
07-23-2010, 09:23 PM
With a clear coat, you wont see any of the color of the paint on your pad when polishing

Mike Phillips
07-23-2010, 09:40 PM
aside from being on older vehicles, what is a way can you tell for sure if it is a single stage paint or basecoat/clearcoat paint?

Take a white cloth and some type of light white polish or a light colored cleaner/wax and apply to a small section of clean paint and massage the area. After a few seconds turn the cloth over and look for pigment the color of the paint to have built-up on the towel. If you have a blue car and see blue paint, that's a pretty strong indicator that you're working on a single stage paint.

If you are working on a white car, then try to find a dark colored towel or cloth and if possible a dark colored compound or polish and apply to a small section of clean paint and massage the area. After a few seconds turn the cloth over and look for pigment the color of the paint to have built-up on the towel.

If you have a white colored single stage finish then you should be able to see white residue building up on the cloth.

:)

Bullitt AK
07-23-2010, 10:48 PM
damn so if it comes off that easily then how do u polish it? just by hand?