PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my new ride

JonMiles
07-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Hey everyone I just picked up a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. When I got to the dealer for the pick up I asked that it not be washed and the salesman complied. He said I'm the first person in the history of the dealership to tell them "don't touch it". So I proceeded to drive my brand new filthy jeep home and directly into my garage for an ONR wash followed by clay and Megs 205 then AIO and 4*. It looks great now. The only thing I didn't realize it that Wrangler might be the hardest car to detail in history. For such a simple design they have major intricacies that took a lot of attention. Does anybody have a process for Wranglers that makes life a little bit easier? I want to seal the hinges, so taping them off during waxing is not really an option. Also, I have the Raggtop system for taking care of the outside of the top...what about the inside?

Mindflux
07-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Congrats on the new Jeep. I was seriously eyeing one last year but in the end I found it impractical to own one so I opted to keep my present vehicle. :)

CEE DOG
07-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Congratulations Jon! :dblthumb2:

Porsche Pilot
07-23-2010, 07:05 PM
I have an 07 4dr. Dude, it is a pain to detail by machine. There is so much plastic it is like it is made out of lego's. Lost of tape and small pads work well. It's been a real fun ride since I got her. Unfortunately it has sat idle since the Panamera arrived in the family. 303 protectant works great on the inside btw...again, more plastic! You will enjoy it.

Bunky
07-23-2010, 07:06 PM
There is nothing like a new ride to continue to inspire you into detailing.

cadd
07-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Yes, I agree they are chore to detail. I did a Jeep Commander a few months ago, wasnt fun at all !! Alot of textured like plastic on the inside...hard to clean. Post some pics if ya can Jon, so we can check out your new wheels

JonMiles
07-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Thank you everyone for the congrats on the new ride...I'm not so worried about the textured plastics as I have a steamer and plenty of interior dressing, it the inside of the soft top, guess you could call it my headliner. I'll get some pics up once I get some mud on it, and some after pics cleaning up after myself. The jeep is a ton of fun to drive, the 6 speed makes it even better.

rakkvet
07-24-2010, 01:33 AM
One of the things I've noticed on the Wrangler is the metal that holds the side mirrors corrodes pretty bad and the paint flakes off. Not fun. I've seen it happen on 2 of them now.

Munich77
07-24-2010, 07:56 AM
One of the things I've noticed on the Wrangler is the metal that holds the side mirrors corrodes pretty bad and the paint flakes off. Not fun. I've seen it happen on 2 of them now.

That is actually a well known Jeep problem :(.

Porsche Pilot
07-24-2010, 06:43 PM
And for some reason squirrels love the exterior plastic. They have chewed up my hood latches, running boards and even the door handles. They dont bother my other cars...just the Wrangler. It is maddening. Good point about the door hinges. They also hold a ton of water after washing. Even after compressed air they seep like mad.

jayhkr
07-24-2010, 07:46 PM
:postpics:

ryandamartini
07-24-2010, 08:58 PM
And for some reason squirrels love the exterior plastic. They have chewed up my hood latches, running boards and even the door handles. They dont bother my other cars...just the Wrangler. It is maddening. Good point about the door hinges. They also hold a ton of water after washing. Even after compressed air they seep like mad.

put a bird feeder on the ground near your jeep. grandparents did this with theirs and it seems to fend them off.

JonMiles
07-24-2010, 09:09 PM

Here is a pic of the new jeep, i'll post more from it's afternoon wash tomorrow.