PDA

View Full Version : Don't smoke.....

Pages : [1] 2

Nappers
07-23-2010, 02:59 AM
Gang,

As you know, I haven't posted much in a while. I do pop in time to time and check things out. I love the new video's and new products....

My dad had Stage 4 lung cancer which was originally thought to be curable or at least give him more years to stay with us. Unfortunately, the cancer spread to his bones. The other day (Saturday) he lost feeling in his legs and ended up in the hospital. An MRI later, doctors found 4 tumors, 2 of which are pressing against his spinal chord. The doctors reamed out his back to give room for the tumor to grow (the worst one) and hopefully gain back his feeling to his legs. The surgery was sucessful however his feelings didn't come back as we had hoped. He can't walk right now. After a closer look, the doctors revealed to us the cancer has spread to his brain. He is on a lot of pain killers and it's a chore for him to even stand up or move around. They have given him weeks, instead of months or years when first diagnosed. He now has to wear a back brace to keep from injuring the spinal chord.

He is being discharged tommorow (Friday) and he is going on a fishing trip to Washington State at the behest of his doctors. My sister and I are going to tag along and make sure Dad makes it to the fishing designation and the soothing salt air and the view and sound of the ocean will soothe him. He will among a group of friends and his wife and me and my sis (for a day or two). His trip usually lasts a month or so and he usually brings a chest freezer for the salmon he brings home.

Say a prayer for happy times in his final moments, safe travels and a good time for me and my sis as we spend possibly his last days with him.

When he returns (I hope he does), hospice will be available to keep him in comfort his last days. I am blessed to be in a job that has family leave for emergencies (sick leave) so I can spend time with him and the family. It's been a rough year for us.

I haven't been with AG a long time. But I do know that I belong to a great group of gals and guys who care about one another.

If you or a loved one smokes, please tell them to quit and if you do, please quit. My dad is 69 years young. Dad worked hard his whole life and now has retired this last year. His grand plans were to fish, play golf, spend time with family and live happily ever after. Those plans are now gone due to smoking.

My dad was so strong, he would carry a stack of banded wood shingles on his shoulder to the second story of the house we rebuilt when I was in school. I considered myself strong but I could barely carry that stack of shingles much less carry them on my shoulder to the second story of a house. He was an electrician, the best in the business. He was a member of Local 6, San Francisco electrician union. He once went to Alaska to do a job as he was sought after.

Dad has a great place on the Rogue River in Shady Cove Oregon. He has his house, front lawn, dirt road, then river.

We spent many of summers and fall, heck spring camping and fishing. He took up golfing as a sport with his older buddies and was quite a golf shark from what I'm told.

He was initially healthy as a horse, strong and full of life. He worried about us kids, his other family and friends long before he worried about us. He took care of us even now on his death bed. His whole life was family and holidays. CHRISTmas was his favorite time, he would go out and get presents for everyone, cut the tree and have a dinner fit for a king. He was the one to get the presents and give them to everyone, stockings and the works. Now...it will not happen. He can hardly get up to go to the bathroom without help. He was an awesome dad as I'm sure your dad's are.

Sorry for rambling.

The moral of the story, quit smoking. Dreams are shattered.

I feel bad for him more than me or my family, his dreams are shattered as well. He knows now he can't do the things he wants anymore and he is upset. This fishing trip is his last request and I hope and pray he has fun. Fishing makes him smile.

Say a prayer for us. My dad's name is Clif.

I'm just going to push away from the keyboard until the dust settles.

See you soon.

Aaron, Clif my dad, Tracy my wife, Stephanie my sister, Bill my brother, Judy my step mom (married 35 years+).

rohnramirez
07-23-2010, 03:41 AM
Hi Aaron, I got teary eyed by reading your story. I offer my prayers to your dad and your family! I honestly hope that his pain stops, both physically and emotionally for the time he has left.

For what it's worth, i'm pretty sure his dreams were not shattered...he made sure his son and daughter grew up to be good and God-fearing. God bless!

Fly bye
07-23-2010, 04:00 AM
Those plans are now gone

You had him for 41 years :xyxthumbs:

nava222
07-23-2010, 04:39 AM
I am so sorry for your bad news... Hope that you and your family keep strong.

CEE DOG
07-23-2010, 05:50 AM
Aaron, I just read your story and was touched. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I pray he has some comfort and relief of his pain over the coming days and is able to enjoy his passion of fishing. Smoking is an evil demon that once started may be the most difficult thing on the earth to quit.

God Bless your father for being a great Dad and spending life making the world a better place with his hard work and passion for life.

My thoughts and prayers are with you

jpegs13
07-23-2010, 05:56 AM
God bless you and your family in this time. Our prayers are with you. Stay strong

Flash Gordon
07-23-2010, 08:01 AM
I am very sorry to hear this news. Hopefully by posting this it will inspire at least one person to either quit or never pickup this habit

Your Family is in my prayers

Pristine Image
07-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Your story was very touching, I hope yall have great weather during your trip.

Your family is in my prayers.

TheCougarGuy
07-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I'll keep your family in my prayers. Stay strong for your family.

WindyCity
07-23-2010, 09:13 AM
My mom was forced to retire in Feb due to COPD. She worked her whole life and now she gets to sit at home and suck oxygen while she watches TV. It make me cry to listen to some you love cough and gag just to breath. I know it is only going to get worse until her passing.

I have asked her to quit numerous times throughout the years and she couldn't give it up. If you care about your kids or loved ones GIVE UP THEM F+C&ING CIGARETTS and save your life and keep your kids from this pain that I go through everyday.....

tuscarora dave
07-23-2010, 09:23 AM
I am so sorry to hear that your father and your family are having to go through this.

Other addictions seem to devastate at a social and moral level, ripping through the lives of the addicted person and their families and friends like a tornado of destruction. These addictions are sometimes so horrendous and painful that it is easier for a person to hit a low bottom where a willingness to surrender can be achieved.

With cigarette smoking however, it is just not the same. The smoking just goes on day after day, year after year and is seemingly unnoticed until the person finds him or herself in your father's shoes and it is too late. My father and I both smoke and I make attempts to quit but just get so agitated and miserable when I try that it just seems easier to pick up another pack.

Please don't think of your post as rambling. It is necessary to let your feelings out and I too feel that there are a lot of caring people here at AG that will listen to anything that you may need to post. The truth of it is that you will never know how many people this thread may help to either quit smoking or just get that much closer to putting the cigarettes down for good. It has certainly touched me.

I have said a prayer for your father and for you and your family. I will be in a prayer circle tomorrow and would like to read your original post to the people in that circle and ask that they may also pray for your father and your family. I also pray that this thread may impact the thoughts of many other smokers as it had impacted me. Thanks for sharing it with us and may God bless you and your family, TD

Tom Weed
07-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi Nappers,
I lost my father almost 4 years ago to almost the same thing, he was 74, a life long smoker until later in life and hadn't been retired that long before he came down with lung cancer. It was operable, but reappeared in his other lung a couple of years later after another operation, it came back again, and also went into his bones. He really had a tough time the last 5 years of his life.

Your story brought back a lot of memories, I'm so sorry to hear what your father is going through as well as you and his loved ones. Stay strong and just let him know what he meant to you and thank him for being a great dad. Your trip will be a special time, so cherish it.

God bless you are your family,

Tom

vet
07-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Sorry to hear of your cancer plight. My mother and a sister died from it, and neither of them smoked. My sister lived almost 4 years longer than the prognosis because she had the will-power to exercise, eat right, and refused to take treatments that would incapacitate her. Every case and person is different, face the problem and decide which is the correct way for your family. May God strengthen and help you through this time of need. Remember, attitude has a lot to do with it. You have to face the fact, but don't let the fact determine the outcome prematurly. God Bless.

trhland
07-23-2010, 12:54 PM
sorry to hear this. my father inlaw just found out he has throat cancer a fewmonths ago.and his smoking even more now. and he finished his kimo. were trting to get him to quite but he wont.. hes such a nice man i want him around for a while hes only 60...

Finemess
07-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Enjoy the remaining time. All the best.