PDA

View Full Version : Removing scratches with a purple foamed wool

Damnhor2
07-22-2010, 07:21 AM
So, a friend of mine just dropped off his car (BMW Z4) and the car is in pretty good shape, just the normal swirls and minor scratches.
However!, on the lower right side of the car there are some deeper scratches caused by bushes. I tried my normal combo of a orange cutting pad + menzerna super intensive polish but it did little to it, I am thinking maybe trying the polish with a purple foamed wool pad I got from autogeek but I have never used it before. What do u think?

P.s.
If I am to use the wool pad it will only be used on that specific panel.

RaskyR1
07-22-2010, 07:32 AM
What polisher are you using?

On most of the BMW's I've done I've needed to reach for M105 and PWF on the rotary to remove significant defects.

BobbyG
07-22-2010, 07:39 AM
For scratches as deep as you've described you also might want to use something like Menzerna Power Gloss. According to Menzerna POS34A is a compound and and will help remove more defects than the finer Super Intensive Polish PO83Q.

You can try it when a purple pad but be careful you don't cut too much.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Z06%20Corvette/MenzernaProducts.jpg

Damnhor2
07-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Yes well, as I am from Israel what I have will have to do as it will take about 3-4 weeks to get the menzerna power gloss.

I have all of the poorboy's polishes and the menzerna super intensive polish. My most aggressive pads are the orange pad and the purple wool pad, would you suggest trying the purple wool with the menzerna super intensive polish?

And currently my tool is a porter cable, I am planning on getting a flex, but no until a few months from now.

BobbyG
07-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Yes well, as I am from Israel what I have will have to do as it will take about 3-4 weeks to get the menzerna power gloss.

I have all of the poorboy's polishes and the menzerna super intensive polish. My most aggressive pads are the orange pad and the purple wool pad, would you suggest trying the purple wool with the menzerna super intensive polish?

And currently my tool is a porter cable, I am planning on getting a flex, but no until a few months from now.

Sometimes you have to work with what's available so yes, I would try the purple pad also and make sure the dial on the Porter Cable is set to 5 or so.

Damnhor2
07-22-2010, 09:01 AM
I always work at speed 5-6 :)
Thanks bobby

RaskyR1
07-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Do you have any 4" orange foam pads? Also is Ultimate Compound available locally to you? You're PC may have a hard time keeping the PFW pad rotating if it's the 6.5" ones, though I've never tried one on my PC.

Damnhor2
07-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Well, I use 5.5" orange foam pads.
I do not have any 4" ones.
Nothing is locally available here, everything must be specially ordered from the US.
Also, yes the PFW pad is 6.5".

RaskyR1
07-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Well, I use 5.5" orange foam pads.
I do not have any 4" ones.
Nothing is locally available here, everything must be specially ordered from the US.
Also, yes the PFW pad is 6.5".

OK. Well just give the PFW a shot then but make sure it stays rotating. You'll need a speed of 6 for sure. ;)