PDA

View Full Version : What is considered 'one pass' with a rotary

Bullitt AK
07-21-2010, 09:03 PM
is it literally going over the spot one time or is it completely working the section one time?

would this be accurate in either event?

Using a medium abrasive polish and a rotary polisher will remove approximately 0. 1 Mil (3µ ) Range 0.8 – 1.1 Mil (20 – 28 µ) from the paint surface (typically 4 passes at 1500-1800 RPM)

thanks

Alex Boyce
07-21-2010, 10:20 PM
To me it's always been completely working the section one time...that's what I consider a pass.

cobalt9123
07-21-2010, 10:44 PM
It's the same as a dual action section pass AFAIC.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70g83mnTn4]YouTube - How to do a "Section Pass" with a Porter Cable 7424XP[/video]

Bullitt AK
07-21-2010, 11:01 PM
ok thanks alot thats exactly what i wanted to know, would you say the approximation i posed in the first post is correct then?

Alex Boyce
07-21-2010, 11:16 PM
I don't know about the removal thickness (i'm sure average removal is posted somewhere). The working time seams about right, the only thing is that different polishes work at different times. SMAT abrasives can be a ton faster than the standard diminishing abrasives.

cobalt9123
07-21-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm unclear on what your original post even approximated (no offense). It's not "working" the polish down, it's just going over the section you're working on one time.

Meaning, a section pass isn't until you're satisfied with your results or have cut the paint as much as you wanted, it's just when you've went over the section one complete time with your buffer; be it a rotary or a DA. Section passes are a way to monitor how much paint you've taken off(sort of), and are a good way to duplicate the results gotten from your test spot instead of just guesstimating the rest of the car.