PDA

View Full Version : Taping problems

Pages : [1] 2

dnoraker
07-21-2010, 06:20 PM
I swear that lately I've been having a much harder time taping off a car. It simply won't stick. Same 3M blue tape, plus I've tried some other green painters tape I found at the home improvement store that was a little cheaper, but had the same problem. So, I just got some 3M automotive tape. Exactly the same problem.

I'm taping after doing claying the car, and I suspect that the clay lube (Megs Last Touch) is the problem. I used a little isopropyl alcohol, which helped with the chrome trim pieces, but marred the heck out of the single stage paint ('77 Buick Regal) using a Megs microfiber. I've had this problem before with marring using IPA and a microfiber, but not this bad.

So, since this is a paint prep problem, how do I prep the surfaces to be taped without marring them? Or, how do I change my process so I don't have to prep the surface? The wierd part is that I haven't changed my claying procedure or products in a few years.

I have a lot of stuff to tape off, so I would totally appreciate any help on this!!!!

Dubbin1
07-21-2010, 06:46 PM
If you're taping to polish the car then I wouldn't even worry about marring the finish as that will be fixed with the polish.

CEE DOG
07-21-2010, 07:03 PM
You could tape before claying and just keep a towel near so you don't let the clay lube soak into the adhesive for long.

dnoraker
07-21-2010, 07:08 PM
both of your thoughts have been considered.

The problem is that I would be taping over the marring. I usually take the tape off to be able to polish up to sharper edges and body gaps for blending, but keep the speed way down. However, I leave tape on the trim pieces until waxing because I'm protecting them from the buffer.

I don't really like taping before claying because then I'm missing the taped areas and risking getting clay lube under the tape.

newbdetailer
07-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Which Megs towels are marring the finish?? Ultimate wipes or the yellow ones?

dnoraker
07-21-2010, 09:26 PM
yellow

newbdetailer
07-21-2010, 11:47 PM
yellow

Interesting... I can vouch for the white "Ultimate wipes" as they don't scratch. I had a black celophane wrapper that I was wiping down, and it would marr up like crazy with almost any MF towel. I then used a spritz of "final inspection" and an ultimate wipe and had no marring at all. ( I even pressed somewhat hard and gave it several passes)

Of all of the ones I have used there was one towel that had some hard stuff embedded it straight out of the package. Good thing is that they are white so you can see it there is any debris in them before you use them.

I have used one of the yellow ones before but now I may have to reconsider using them on paint. I have 5 of the yellow Supreme Shine towels.

dnoraker
07-22-2010, 01:07 AM
I don't think it's the towel, though. I use these all the time without them scratching the paint. It's the combination with the IPA and wiping an area. It's like it makes it too grippy and it grabs the paint, marring it like buffing with a dry pad.

I'm thinking I either didn't get the car totally clean, or tape doesn't stick to residue from Last Touch.

Tom Weed
07-22-2010, 08:02 AM
I used to use Meguiars Last Touch for a claylube and had the exact same problem your having, the tape would not stick after claying. I switched to Meguiars Final Inspection which is body shop safe, (I assume it means it doesn't contain silicones) and it solved the problem.

Tom

dnoraker
07-22-2010, 08:42 AM
I used to use Final Inspection before Last Touch and loved it. That totally makes sense. Plus, if I run out, they carry it at the auto parts store 3 blocks away. :)

Are most products at AG for clay lube also body shop safe like Final Inspection? Though I'll probably use Final Inspection, is there another brand/product with similar performance that's cheaper? That was the only reason I went to Last Touch- the bulk pricing.

sgtmillhouse648
07-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Try using wax and grease remover to wipe whatever down with before you apply the tape. They sell it at many autoparts stores in the painting section.

BobbyG
07-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Generally when tape won't stick it boils down to it's age or residual contamination on the piece that's keeping it from sticking. I use a Dupont product called Prep-Solve that dissolves, oils, tar, grease etc that cures this issue. I use this prior to wet-sanding as part of the painting process to ensure that the surface is contaminate free.

I'm sure there's others out there but I think you get the idea.

Mindflux
07-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Are most products at AG for clay lube also body shop safe like Final Inspection? Though I'll probably use Final Inspection, is there another brand/product with similar performance that's cheaper? That was the only reason I went to Last Touch- the bulk pricing.

My clay lube consists of a small cap full of car wash soap in a 32oz spray bottle filled with water. How much easier/safe can that get? No need for dedicated lube IMHO.

Mindflux
07-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Generally when tape won't stick it boils down to it's age or residual contamination on the piece that's keeping it from sticking. I use a Dupont product called Prep-Solve that dissolves, oils, tar, grease etc that cures this issue. I use this prior to wet-sanding as part of the painting process to ensure that the surface is contaminate free.

I'm sure there's others out there but I think you get the idea.

Likewise, Walmart carries something called Prep-All. But I'm also interested in trying a product called "Prep Wash". (via a competitors site)

BobbyG
07-22-2010, 11:44 AM
My clay lube consists of a small cap full of car wash soap in a 32oz spray bottle filled with water. How much easier/safe can that get? No need for dedicated lube IMHO.

I'll second that! I haven't bought a dedicated clay lube in over 5 years.....