PDA

View Full Version : Megiuar's Paint Reconditioning Cream (d151) Technique

Pages : [1] 2

kb2ehj
07-21-2010, 10:51 AM
So recently I got a gallon jug of this stuff to add it to the arsenal of products to play with and co-worker has agreed to let me use his 2005 Honda Accord as a test bed.

From his description the car is in pretty bad shape. I'm not looking to create a show room finish but something that will turn heads from a distance (if that makes since)

I have two questions, first one is does this product work like the other polishes, I assume it does? As in slow arm speeds, multiple section passes. Secondly how long would you figure it would take to finish an Accord? I know this last question is subject to many variables, I'm just looking for a rough idea for personal planning of how long I should expect to complete this project.

Thank you for your time and answers.

FinalTouchAuto
07-21-2010, 11:30 AM
I've had pretty good results using 151 on an orange pad applying it just like any other polish, only this has added protection of a sealant in it.

If you are doing wash, clay, and D151 as both your polish and LSP then I'd say you could potentially finish in 5 hours with a single pass around the car and get it looking much better than it currently does.

D151 is a cool product; I enjoy it.

elk42
07-21-2010, 11:37 AM
i agree with the use of an orange pad. its basically cutting between M105 and M205 and goes on and off as easily as M205. I did my section passes at medium arm speed and set on 6 on my PCXP. I did a Mit Diamonte yesterday and went very slow around the whole car. 5 hrs seems long for a wash, clay and D151 only though. Always clay the car before using a buffer. Good luck.

AeroCleanse
07-21-2010, 11:47 AM
I use D151 on a wool pad on a rotary, takes about 4hrs for a VW Jetta in bad shape.

kb2ehj
07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Thank you all for your responses so far.

Interesting selection on the pad, I'd seen a lot of people on other forums actually suggesting green pads for AIO type products? No big deal I've got a bunch of both colors and as Mike and others say, start with the least aggressive and work up.

FinalTouchAuto
07-21-2010, 02:07 PM
You wont get much correction out of a green pad.

The green pad is great for laying down an AIO if you want a little surface cleaning, but it wont take out the majority of the swirls like the orange pad will when used with 151.

cobalt9123
07-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I had great luck with D151 on a Tangerine Hydrotech Pad.

jlb85
07-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Remember this is a Honda, guys. Its paint is super soft. According to this thread (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40514), D151 has more cut than M205. I would not use anything more than a white pad if it is a light color, black pad for a darker color, for a typical Honda. Remember also this is intended to be a one step polish, so you want to be able to finish down correctly. I prefer a RIDSed up car over a car with machine trails, so make sure your pad selection achieves this.

To work, apply like any polish. You will notice it flashing after a few passes. Let it sit for a few minutes and it seems to wipe off cleaner and easier.

detail viking
07-22-2010, 10:41 PM
I would have to agree with jlb. A white pad on a Honda should be just right. Take a few pics if ya can. I think a lot of people are considering 151 right now.. :cheers:

tuscarora dave
07-22-2010, 10:51 PM
I would have to agree with jlb. A white pad on a Honda should be just right. Take a few pics if ya can. I think a lot of people are considering 151 right now.. :cheers:
I know I have been considering trying it and getting a gallon if I like it so I'll be interested in some pics too.

AeroCleanse
07-22-2010, 11:16 PM
I know I have been considering trying it and getting a gallon if I like it so I'll be interested in some pics too.

Taken 2 years ago, but here are a couple.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3070/2857614689_121917c5d1_b_d.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/2858456310_2b8b57e41a_b_d.jpg

Meg's wool pad on a rotary. :buffing:

kb2ehj
07-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Again, thanks for all your posts/suggestions.

Don't worry about the pictures, I'll be taking a bunch that's for sure.

Looking through the pad collection, I've only got two whites. Got lots (ok about 7) orange and greens, 2 blue, 2 blacks and 2 red.

We'll see what happens and update this post with whatever I find out.

Got my wires crossed a bit with the co-worker, turns out this is a 1996 Honda Accord and is burgundy in color. We were talking about his 2005 Honda Odyssey at the same time so I assumed that was what he was dropping off to me.

Should have some new stuff/information over the weekend.

tuscarora dave
07-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Taken 2 years ago, but here are a couple.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3070/2857614689_121917c5d1_b_d.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/2858456310_2b8b57e41a_b_d.jpg

Meg's wool pad on a rotary. :buffing:
Thanks for the pics. Have you followed any of these cars to see if they had any buffer trails from the wool pad after a few washes?

Locutus
07-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I just did a 95 Civic with paint in HORRIBLE condition. I tried the 151, and I was probably doing something wrong, but it was impossible to get off, and left streaks. I wound up using Megs Cleaner/Wax.

Mike Phillips
07-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Real quick...

Anytime you're using a cleaner/wax on a neglected finish, you want to,

Use the product wet or heavy, that is you want lots of liquid on the surface because in the liquid is the chemical cleaners, the lubricants and the abrasives and you want all of these thing working for you. If you use the product light, you will run into gumming-up, short buffing cycle and difficult removal not to mention less then expected results.

It also helps to shrink the size of your work area downward.

Here's a recent article I wrote on working in warm and hot weather but some of these same tips will help when using a cleaner/wax, or cleaner/sealant, or cleaner/hybrid on a neglected finish. It's under the Tricks, Tips and Techniques section...

Tricks, Tips and Techniques
Tips for working in warm/hot weather or direct sunlight (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/26961-tips-working-warm-hot-weather-direct-sunlight.html)

IF you're using a cleaner/wax etc., on a finish in good to excellent condition, (as a maintenance wax), then you can use a lot less product as the condition of the finish won't require as much product.

IF you want to know the difference between a cleaner/wax, or cleaner/sealant, or cleaner/hybrid, then check out this article... I think it also talks about using cleaner/wax, or cleaner/sealant, or cleaner/hybrid products.

How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-how-choose-right-wax-paint-sealant-your-detailing-project.html)

:)