PDA

View Full Version : Why do these spots keep coming back?

Ty07allstar
07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
On the back half of my car there are a bunch of spots that look like bird droppings in the paint. You can't feel them with your finger so they are definitely in the paint. I compounded them all and that got rid of them. Now a week later they are starting to come back. I am going to be getting a PC and some Megs 105 and 205 soon and I'm hoping they will take them out. Here's a picture on the trunk. What do you guys think?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/ty07allstar/DSC00039.jpg

ScottB
07-21-2010, 08:22 AM
looks like etching ... and depending how deep it went into paint, sometimes you live with it or move to wet-sanding if you cannot remove by polishing.

Soakin' Joe's
07-22-2010, 09:02 AM
That is definitely etching, and most likely is not coming out. Those swirls will come out though.

BobbyG
07-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Depending on its depth you might be able to wet-sand with 1500 or 2000 grit then try polishing. Adding a glaze will also improve the appearance but it's not permanent.

sgtmillhouse648
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
That is definitely etched. Try compounding etc. again, but after you're done, wipe with IPA to get any oils out which would cover it up.

Ty07allstar
07-22-2010, 02:10 PM
I've compounded several times and they just keep coming back. After I was done each time I wiped them down with Mother's Showtime Detailer then put some spray wax over them.

Dubbin1
07-22-2010, 02:26 PM
I've compounded several times and they just keep coming back. After I was done each time I wiped them down with Mother's Showtime Detailer then put some spray wax over them.

They are no "coming back", you have never gotten rid of them in the first place. Sounds like you may need to wet sand to get rid of them.

RTexasF
07-22-2010, 05:08 PM
From your description it appears you are doing all of this by hand, correct? Like others here I question if the spots can be removed but save your efforts until you get the PC and some top products to use with it. If that doesn't touch it after multiple passes then sanding seems to be the only remaining alternative.

Ty07allstar
07-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Would it hurt to use Megs 105 all over my car even though some spots may not need that abrasive of a compound? Will it hurt my clear coat? The car's paint is 7 years old and to my knowledge has never been polished, just washed and waxed by myself.

ScottB
07-29-2010, 10:14 AM
polishing wont hurt good paint, it indeed will still remove old wax and contaminents on paint and after 7 years there is likely something. That said, it is always best to use the least abrasive pad/polish combo and work harder as needed. 105 is abrasive indeed, so perhaps starting with a white pad versus orange, or trying 205 first is another thought. You can always come back to 105 or harder (aggressive) pad as needed.

Ty07allstar
07-29-2010, 08:20 PM
polishing wont hurt good paint, it indeed will still remove old wax and contaminents on paint and after 7 years there is likely something. That said, it is always best to use the least abrasive pad/polish combo and work harder as needed. 105 is abrasive indeed, so perhaps starting with a white pad versus orange, or trying 205 first is another thought. You can always come back to 105 or harder (aggressive) pad as needed.

I was going to try 205 first but I was just wondering if 105 would damage my paint.