PDA

View Full Version : Help with swirls.

yeebiz
07-21-2010, 03:51 AM
Hello everyone. I bought a car about a month ago. Came here to learn how to properly detail it and learned tons of things over the past couple weeks. This forum is an invaluable source of information. Was hoping for a bit of help with this one...

My paint is pearl white. I noticed some swirl marks on the car in direct sunlight but it seemed really minor. Didn't bother addressing it. I have noticed at night under the street lights the swirls become much more visible.

Had a few questions about how I can get rid of the swirls.
I will be applying by hand. I have the following products to use. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, Swirl X, Scatch X, and I guess to some extent Klasse AIO, and Zaino AIO.

Which would be the best route to go? I will be applying by hand.
I currently have a layer of Zaino AIO, a layer of 845, and I use Ultimate Quik Wax after washing. Should I strip these down before removing the swirls?
Can I use Dawn to strip them down if necessary or should I use something else?
Any tips for applying any of these by hand to get the best results?

Thanks for your help.

HighEndDetail
07-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Polishing by hand will take awhile to remove the swirls. But can be done, though a machine will make the work much faster.
The meg's Ultimate Compound, Swirl X, Scatch X will remove any previous protection you have on the vehicle. So no dawn wash is needed. You can use any good quality car soap,then polish, if you want you can do a IPA wipedown after. Before applying your LSP.

ColorsDetailing
07-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Are you sure they are Swirls? Swirl marks come from improper buffing. What your probily looking at is spider webbing from washing the vehicle. If that is what your looking at your going to want to shoot yourself before your get done doing it by hand. Get the PC, it's very user friendly.

yeebiz
07-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Looks like a PC is in my future. Thanks for your responses.

Rsurfer
07-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Are you sure they are Swirls? Swirl marks come from improper buffing. What your probily looking at is spider webbing from washing the vehicle. If that is what your looking at your going to want to shoot yourself before your get done doing it by hand. Get the PC, it's very user friendly. Are you saying that swirls are only from improper buffing?

Dubbin1
07-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Swirl marks come from improper buffing.

Swirls come from improper washing/drying, holograms come from buffing.

Rsurfer
07-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Swirls come from improper washing/drying, holograms come from buffing.Correct, you might want to add hazing.

cadd
07-21-2010, 11:04 PM
I agree...you should definately consider purchasing a PC. It is well worth the money...and doesnt leave your arms feeling like spagetti after the end of the day.

ColorsDetailing
07-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Are you saying that swirls are only from improper buffing?

Yes swirl marks (holograms) come from buffing a car with a compound and either not following it with a swirl remover / polish or not polishing it correctly.

Sprider webbing (scratching) comes from improper washing and drying not swirl marks.

Rsurfer
07-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Yes swirl marks (holograms) come from buffing a car with a compound and either not following it with a swirl remover / polish or not polishing it correctly.

Sprider webbing (scratching) comes from improper washing and drying not swirl marks.For your information swirls are not holograms.