PDA

View Full Version : Hi Tech Magna Sponge instead of clay?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-20-2010, 06:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these.Hi Tech Magna Sponge

Its cheaper than clay, says its reuseable as well...just dont know how well it woudl work and if it would be more harsh on your paint (risk of swirls/scratches).

AeroCleanse
07-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Yes, been using it as a clay replacement for a few years.

Mindflux
07-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Ultima sells something similar that they call elastifoam.

Bullitt AK
07-20-2010, 06:24 PM
hmm.. good find, how long do these sponges last typically? i could potentially see some problems with dirt accumulation in the sponge because they cant be folded like clay?

i cant seem to find a place that sells the elasti-foam, id like to check it out if anyone knows

mcpp66
07-20-2010, 07:32 PM
I should try this.......I can't clay my Camaro without putting scratches in it.......and it's not because I'm doing something wrong either. I've used a brand new Pinnacle clay bar with plenty of lube (probably too much) and just enough pressure to keep the clay on the paint. When I try this I'll write a review.

mcpp66
07-20-2010, 07:34 PM
hmm.. good find, how long do these sponges last typically? i could potentially see some problems with dirt accumulation in the sponge because they cant be folded like clay?

i cant seem to find a place that sells the elasti-foam, id like to check it out if anyone knows

Google Ultima Elastrofoam, you'll find it.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-20-2010, 07:55 PM

Well if you click the link that i posted up there that will connect you to ADS, it says that you can actually just rinse out the foam when it gets dirty...and is suppose to clean up so well that 'even if you drop it on the floor, you can just rinse it out and continue using it' (im paraphrasing but, thats basically what it says). For $10 each and to be able to reuse it...thats a pretty attractive offer.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-20-2010, 07:56 PM

How do you like it compaired to clay (im guessing quite a bit if you've used it as a replacement for years).....what are some of the pros and cons that you've noticed when using it compaired to clay?

mcpp66
07-20-2010, 08:00 PM

Is it as scratch prone as clay is?

Dubbin1
07-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Well if you click the link that i posted up there that will connect you to ADS

I'm pretty sure that link is a big NO NO here on the Auto Geek forums :nomore:

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-20-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that link is a big NO NO here on the Auto Geek forums :nomore:
*rolls eyes* I am not trying to SELL it...I simply put the link up there to show what it is i'm talking about.

Dubbin1
07-20-2010, 08:18 PM
No need to roll your eyes, look at the first thread in the forum.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Added it to my cart. Doesn't hurt to try.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Is it more effective to use this with QD or soapy water?

AeroCleanse
07-20-2010, 09:05 PM

The sponge isn't used for working on the car, it has a kind of rubber area on one side.

I like it better than clay, but you can't have the nice photo of how dirty the clay is.

If you drop it, you can rinse it off, unlike clay which you have to throw away.