PDA

View Full Version : Reattaching pads to velco backing...

Quenga
07-20-2010, 02:13 PM
So, I just got some 4" pads for a headlight restoration kit I put together. I posted a video in the showoff section. Well, I soaked the pads and cleaned them how I've always cleaned pads (rinsing, squeezing, rotary spin off) and...the backing came off all of them! So now, I have these pads, which I've used once...just sitting there, unusable.

How can I re-attach this things? I was thinking something like headliner spray or something. Suggestions?

Fly bye
07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I soaked the pads and cleaned them how I've always cleaned pads (rinsing, squeezing, rotary spin off) and...the backing came off all of them! So now, I have these pads, which I've used once...just sitting there, unusable.

How can I re-attach these things?

I was thinking something like headliner spray or something. Suggestions?

I think this is an issue between you and the place of purchase where you got them.

I wouldn't use contact cement, (headliner spray) as contact cement is not water proof and wont hold the foam onto the velcro anyhow. I've used contact cement to re-glue a foam pad back onto the velcro, and it is a very short term fix. A special glue is used by the manufacturer.

Mister B
07-20-2010, 02:34 PM
So, I just got some 4" pads for a headlight restoration kit I put together. I posted a video in the showoff section. Well, I soaked the pads and cleaned them how I've always cleaned pads (rinsing, squeezing, rotary spin off) and...the backing came off all of them! So now, I have these pads, which I've used once...just sitting there, unusable.

Those were the new Meguiar's 4" pads you were using, correct?

g35_coupe
07-22-2010, 04:46 PM
That really sucks to have the pads come apart after the first cleaning. Did you soak them in anything harsh? Maybe you could try some waterproof silicone or mix it with a little epoxy. I'd try that after attempting the manufacturer to replace them for free.

RTexasF
07-22-2010, 04:59 PM
You don't reattach them, they are kaput. as mentioned get with the vendor/manufacturer and have them replaced.

CEE DOG
07-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Have them replaced.

I had the backing come off a white pad recently. Going to turn it into a couple hand applicators now

Rsurfer
07-22-2010, 09:41 PM
If the manufactor can't keep it on the pad no otc glue will do.

Quenga
07-23-2010, 02:52 AM
Well...odd thing happened. After I finished rinsing them, I put the backing back on, just set it there and let the pads dry. And...when they dried, the backings were stuck back on! I don't get it. The glue must have gave into the detergent (I was using DP foam cleaner, which I've used on LC pads just fine). I don't know...it's the first time I've had 4" pads, and yes, they were Meguiars pads.

I don't know what exactly happened, but the backings are on again. Albeit not perfect, but they stick and I used them just fine again. I didn't soak them this time. Instead I just cleaned them with some APC and and stepped on them with some cotton towels. They seem to be doing fine. I got some fabric spray from the craft store I was gonna try. But, owell. If they come off again I'll try it.

Fly bye
07-23-2010, 03:46 AM
How far did the velcro peel?