PDA

View Full Version : Recommondations on Foam Pad 8"

The BSMachine
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Foam / Wool Pads & Accessories for Rotary/Circular Polishers (http://www.autogeek.net/rotary-foam-pads.html)

Hey everyone. I recently got a Mikta 9227c Rotary Buffer which I have some exp on and I will be practicing on some junk body panels to hone my craft. I expect to be using Meguiar's products such as M150/M205 combo and M80/M83.

Basically I have a 7" Back plate (loop and hook) and my understanding I will be looking at 8" Pads.

I see there is Lake Country and Meguairs I see, is there a preference on which type??

Also with the above listed chemicals any certain pad/chem combos you can think of.

Looking at correcting

RDS
Etching
Swirls
Acid Rain

So on and so forth!

:buffing:

Matt S.
07-20-2010, 10:23 AM
These are the ones you want - CCS 8.5 inch Foam Pads, Lake Country 8.5 inch ccs pads, lake country ccs foam pads, rotary ccs foam pads, ccs polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-ccs-8inch-pads.html)

I'd get a 6 pack. 2 orange, 2 white, 1 gray, 1 red. This will be a good kit to get you started. Might also want to get a couple wool cutting pads as well for really bad stuff.

The BSMachine
07-20-2010, 10:39 AM
These are the ones you want - CCS 8.5 inch Foam Pads, Lake Country 8.5 inch ccs pads, lake country ccs foam pads, rotary ccs foam pads, ccs polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-ccs-8inch-pads.html)

I'd get a 6 pack. 2 orange, 2 white, 1 gray, 1 red. This will be a good kit to get you started. Might also want to get a couple wool cutting pads as well for really bad stuff.

perfect, thanks. I do have 2 wool pads that came with the kit. I'll use those up first before rebuying be def thanks for the info.

Any diff or thoughts on the CCS pads vs Smart Pads. :props:

Matt S.
07-20-2010, 10:41 AM
CCS are Smart Pads. :confused:

The BSMachine
07-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Opps, my mistake, I was looking at the listing wrong. I saw Komperssor but those were 7" and and the 6 pack were the same pads. Perfect, thanks for the clarification!

Matt S.
07-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Gotcha. Kompressors will not fit your backing plate, unfortunately. If you purchase a 6" LC place, the 7" Kompressors will fit.

The BSMachine
07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Kompressor any good, aside from the fact smaller pad allows for tighter areas?

Matt S.
07-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Yes, they're great, especially with a rotary. Definitely worth trying as they are very stable to work with and the rounded edges are pretty nice.

The BSMachine
07-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Ok cool definitly something to check out when I have a chance. Thanks! If anyone else has input on chem/pad choices let me know.

Sounds like I would combine on a heavily swirled car some M105 and a Orange pad, test spot it and do a pass, then inspect. If good, then move on to M105 and a White Pad w/ M205. The follow up with my normal glaze/sealant/wax process?

Matt S.
07-20-2010, 12:12 PM
I'd probably finish with M205/gray. On a lot of paints, M205/white via rotary may leave holograms. But experiment with different combos and see what works best - that's the whole point of having a variety of pads. :)

The BSMachine
07-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Ok, that was my next question, even though grey is a finishing pad or as they describe it has no ability to level or correct, the slightly abrasive M205 will still correct.

Cleaner Glazes like M07 (Show Car) would be an ideal match with the grey pad.