PDA

View Full Version : Applying wax with the PC

Frugle
11-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Hello all,

I've been spending everyweekend detailing our 4 cars 1 at a time, So, I have obviously been researched ways to speed up the process.

I've read a lot of people's post that says they are applying their wax with a PC.

Sooo.. I order 2 LC black pads with the expectation of saving time and wax because supposedly the PC can apply it so thin.

This perticular LSP is supposed to be applied very thin, so you don't need a whole lot to wax a normal car. Becasue this wax is expensive, I really wanted to concerve as much wax as possible.

I applied the wax to the pad the way I do polish to a pad... either a nickel sized dot in the center, or a ring around the outside.

Now I have to say, I was utterly dissapointed. NOTHING worked the way it should. the LC black pad is an inch think of foam, so it ate all the wax that I had partitioned to do the car, but never got to the primed state.

I started off with the PC at 4, going fairly slow, with no pressure, trying to watch to see where the wax was going. Being that I had applied the wax as a dot in the center, each pass in one direction was only yeilding about 1 inch of wax applied.

Then I bumped the speed up to 6, and noticed a difference in the evenness at which it was applied... but it still sucked.

Plus, it took at least twice as long to apply it than it would If I had used a normal applicator pad.

So my question is, what is the proper technique to appling an LSP with a PC? obviously what I did didn't work.

to make it worse, it really didn't even work... I let it dry for however long it needed, and then buffed it out... after I buffed it out, I could run the back of my hand across the paint and feel each lane of wax, meaning it was appling in some areas, but never covered the paint. so there was waxed, and unwaxed areas.

I am just completely dissapointed, and not sure what to do.. at this point I have to worthless black finishing pads. :(

Thanks!

tod071
11-11-2006, 01:22 AM
I'm not claiming to be a pro or expert, but from my understanding, you will use more wax when you use a pc vs by hand. But, if speed is your issue, a pc is definitely faster. On a brand new pad, I usually go about a quarter size and spread the wax before turning the pc on. Then, at speed 3-4 (no higher), spread about a 3'x3' area. Wipe off after each section.
All waxes are different and could require more hazing time. You might want to mention what products you're using so others with experience with your products can chime in.

Frugle
11-11-2006, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the post! I did actually do all of that, including spreading the wax, and useing more wax.

I gave it 40 minutes to haze. according to the company, it only needs 20-30.

I was reading a thread on this particular wax, and people were saying when using a syringe to hold the wax, (instead of a bottle, with a syringe you can get every last drop out) and a PC, they were getting 5 coats out of 1 oz or less... doesn't really make since.

The product isn't sold here, so I'm leaving that out for the time being.

sparkie
11-11-2006, 02:17 AM
I'm not claiming to be a pro or expert, but from my understanding, you will use more wax when you use a pc vs by hand. But, if speed is your issue, a pc is definitely faster. On a brand new pad, I usually go about a quarter size and spread the wax before turning the pc on. Then, at speed 3-4 (no higher), spread about a 3'x3' area. Wipe off after each section.
All waxes are different and could require more hazing time. You might want to mention what products you're using so others with experience with your products can chime in.

:iagree: with you. Welcome to AG. The last car I did, used Edge blue pad, DG 105, speed 4. Let dry 1 hour, buff off with Edge white pad, speed 4. Turn out great.
Justin done a LS430 applied wax by hand then used Edge white pad to buff off. Check it out, lots of tips!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2518

Totoland Mach
11-11-2006, 05:56 AM
Most times, I use the pc to apply my liquid wax. I keep the speed setting at 3 and apply 4 nickel size drops to the pad and spread the wax. On a new pad, I typically have to re-apply the drops after doing one small section of the car, but after that, I can usually get quite a bit of coverage.

The reason for using the pc is a uniform amount of product covering the car. And, I find it's faster once you get the hang of it. I can apply to the entire car in just a few minutes with the pc. Then, I use AG's Wax Buddy (can't remember what the official name is) to get at those areas the pc can't reach.

I've even applied Souveran with the pc. I shook the Souveran out of the container and used the lid for holding. Then, "wiped" the pad across the Souve and applied it to the car. Turned out great!

Toto

Grimm
11-11-2006, 08:21 AM
One tip I would give is to not put the wax in the center, put it by the edge of the pad. That way it will spin in a large circle and not just in one spot. I used the PC for sealant and wax and it works great. I don't think I used any more than I would have by hand. It's also much easier on the wrist and fingers. I put on about a nickel size blotch or scrape with carnuba and it went on great.

justin_murphy
11-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Welcome bro. Sorry you're having a tough time. It took me a while to learn how to use the PC to wax so don't give up. I can now to a full size truck in 10 minutes. The key is getting the pad loaded with the product. Every product is different. Megs NXT takes very little but Meg's #26 Liquid takes about a quarter sized amount for each panel. I keep my pad moist with a QD or even water. This makes for a more even coat. Just remember, I does not take alot of wax to adhere to the clear coat. Also, you want to go left to right then cover with a top to bottom motion. It takes time to learn. I've waxed alot of cars, 10 just this week, and I'm still learning new things!

ScottB
11-11-2006, 08:56 AM
I have argued this point for years ... you will waste far more product using a buffer than by hand. You can regulate how much goes onto your applicator and it will not dry out by machines heat and spinning of pad.

As for the black pads, use them to jewel the surface. They work well at high speed with a finishing polish to amp up a just polished surface, or can be used alone on already great finishes.

justin_murphy
11-11-2006, 09:18 AM
I have argued this point for years ... you will waste far more product using a buffer than by hand. You can regulate how much goes onto your applicator and it will not dry out by machines heat and spinning of pad.

As for the black pads, use them to jewel the surface. They work well at high speed with a finishing polish to amp up a just polished surface, or can be used alone on already great finishes.

I agree Killr, except that when you do 2-3 waxings per day, the PC looks and feels really good! I use a slow #3 setting so not to build up alot of heat.

BILL
11-11-2006, 10:50 AM
I agree Killr, except that when you do 2-3 waxings per day, the PC looks and feels really good! I use a slow #3 setting so not to build up alot of heat.

YES........I agree that would be better if your waxing more than one car a day....as for me......i do all my one car waxing by hand....slow and thorough.
then the next day i'll do the other car......

i just like the feel of the hands on feeling.....but in your instance i would understand why you like the machine......:)

Frugle
11-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the post! I really appricate it!

So I guess I hsouldn't be using the PC when trying to save product? oh well...

Killr, could you explain more about what you meant when you said Jewel the surface?

Darren F
11-11-2006, 11:45 AM
why not just use one of the cheap orbital buffers?

Grimm
11-11-2006, 01:12 PM
I don't feel that I used any more using the PC than I do by hand. Even if I do, my hands thank me for it when I'm done. I've busted a few fingers in the past, and they always ache from waxing by hand.