PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash for Tough Stuff

sonnydog10
07-19-2010, 03:11 PM
I am looking for recommendations or advice for a car wash solution to remove "sap" from aphids from a tree that the car was parked under (not really sap but let's not get into that!). The stuff has basically covered the car and is especially tough to get off after baking in the sun. I have been using warm water and regular car wash but some of the sap remains. Any suggestions? P21S?

Thanks

A4 1.8tqm
07-19-2010, 03:20 PM
This may be beyond car wash solution alone. Try detailing clay, do a small section and inspect both the clay and paint surface often.

sonnydog10
07-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the reply. I do use the clay, just hoping to avoid the claybar after every wash. I really need to get rid of the aphids!

Matt S.
07-19-2010, 03:40 PM
What kind of wax are you using on the car? A good coat of a durable wax should help this stuff wash right off. If it's tough to get off and you resort to a stronger wash solution, you will most likely be stripping your wax off, if any is even on there.

A4 1.8tqm
07-19-2010, 03:43 PM
A coat of a good sealant topped with wax should help with ease of removal for the "sap", assuming you wash it in a timely manner. Has the car ever been polished?

Also, I've found that Chemical Guy's Citrus Wash and Clear as excellent cleaning ability, you could try that out.

sonnydog10
07-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Thank you for all the input. I have been mostly been using some quick detailer stuff on the cars but will soon be trying out my new Porter-Cable polisher as soon as I receive my pads and cleaners. The sap is mostly on the kid's cars so they will need to do the waxing. Any recommendations on wax that will keep this stuff from sticking?

WRAPT C5Z06
07-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Thank you for all the input. I have been mostly been using some quick detailer stuff on the cars but will soon be trying out my new Porter-Cable polisher as soon as I receive my pads and cleaners. The sap is mostly on the kid's cars so they will need to do the waxing. Any recommendations on wax that will keep this stuff from sticking?
For your intents and purposes, I'd go with Collonite 845. Very easy to use and quite durable.

ScottB
07-19-2010, 04:47 PM
how about presoaking with P21S Total Wash prior to washing, always helps on really dirty automobiles for me.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-19-2010, 04:52 PM
how about presoaking with P21S Total Wash prior to washing, always helps on really dirty automobiles for me.
I pre-sprayed my Z with optimum power clean(undiluted) yesterday to strip the sealant, but I was a bit paranoid to let it actually "soak". I sprayed it on then wiped it right off. After I did that to every panel, I washed the car normally. Can you let P21S TAW actually soak for awhile?

Old Tiger
07-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Not a wax, but DP PolySeal is BOGO and has rave reviews. I would also get DG 601 Bonding Agent which extends polymer life. Any good paint safe APC should remove sap. I have Optimum Power Clean and M1o3+. Bug & tar should work too.

ScottB
07-19-2010, 07:26 PM
I pre-sprayed my Z with optimum power clean(undiluted) yesterday to strip the sealant, but I was a bit paranoid to let it actually "soak". I sprayed it on then wiped it right off. After I did that to every panel, I washed the car normally. Can you let P21S TAW actually soak for awhile?

yes indeed ... if you watch some of the Paul Dalton video's you'll see where he uses it on very high dollar exotics too. Its pretty versatile on cured paint.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-19-2010, 08:01 PM
yes indeed ... if you watch some of the Paul Dalton video's you'll see where he uses it on very high dollar exotics too. Its pretty versatile on cured paint.
It's more of an exterior cleaner than interior, correct?

ScottB
07-20-2010, 09:11 AM
It's more of an exterior cleaner than interior, correct?

yes ... I dont believe I have heard on anyone using it on interiors.