PDA

View Full Version : Storing Clay?

Pages : [1] 2

ICEMAN
07-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I used to buy the Mothers Clay Kit and that clay would get really sticky after only one use. Is it b/c of how i stored it? i kept it wet, and wrapped tightly in a plastic bag.

Should it be in a sealed case?

Should i spray some clay lube in with the bar when i put it back in the container?

I just ordered the Pinnacle Clay and DP lube thats on BOGO right now and i want to keep this stuff fresh!

The mothers Kits are 20 bucks a piece, and they come with one bar of clay and one bottle of Lubricant.

i got 6 pieces total off of the BOGO and 2 32oz bottles of DP Clay Lube off of the BOGO for 50 bucks. it would take 6 Mothers kits to match that, and that would be 120 bucks. so save 70 bucks!

VR8
07-19-2010, 12:31 PM
I've had Pinnacle and Meguiar's. Always kept them in the original plastic container that they were delivered in. I DO spray them with clay lube before storing them.

ICEMAN
07-19-2010, 12:36 PM
thats the bad thing about Mothers, it doesnt come with anything to store them in. i hope these pinnacle do! otherwise, ill make one myself. maybe ill sell em too!, lol.

im a designer at a plastic packaging plant, so if they dont, ill make a mold on our 3D printer, and make some samples for myself! hehehe

Labster
07-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Pinnacle didn't the first time I got it. I've since switched to DI clay and picked up two of their clay containers as well.

Pristine Image
07-19-2010, 12:48 PM
I've used the Meguiar's Smooth Clay Kit as well as their mild blue clay if I recall correctly. Both came with a plastic container, the Smooth Clay Kit came with a little box and the mild blue came with a plastic jar. The way I've always stored clay and it seems to be working for me is to put the clay in a ziplock baggie and spray it down liberally with clay lube and zip it up. I then place that baggie into the plastic container. I recently used clay that had been stored in that manner for about a year without use and it was not the least bit dried up.

ICEMAN
07-19-2010, 12:50 PM
The way I've always stored clay and it seems to be working for me is to put the clay in a ziplock baggie and spray it down liberally with clay lube and zip it up. I then place that baggie into the plastic container. I recently used clay that had been stored in that manner for about a year without use and it was not the least bit dried up.

awesome, thanks! ill prolly do that.

tuscarora dave
07-19-2010, 01:07 PM
I found these EZ-Freeze containers at Target. They are made by Stayfit. They are heavy duty, compact and have a screw tight lid. My clay stays nice without any kind of liquids.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/002-15.jpg

ICEMAN
07-19-2010, 01:24 PM
nice one!

newbdetailer
07-19-2010, 08:56 PM
You can also check out Tap Plastics. They have some nice plastic jars that would work well.

Dubbin1
07-20-2010, 12:45 AM
I just got some Pinnacle clay a few weeks ago and it came with a plastic case.

Fly bye
07-20-2010, 02:30 AM
I used to buy the Mothers Clay Kit and that clay would get really sticky after only one use. Is it b/c of how i stored it?

If it's gonna be sticky, it's gonna be sticky no matter how you store it.

HighEndDetail
07-20-2010, 05:36 AM
I found these EZ-Freeze containers at Target. They are made by Stayfit. They are heavy duty, compact and have a screw tight lid. My clay stays nice without any kind of liquids.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/002-15.jpg

nice idea

Munich77
07-20-2010, 06:40 AM
I use ziplock bags. Those containers do look much nicer so. But you cannot beat the price of ziplock bags if you already have them at home.

ICEMAN
07-20-2010, 06:48 AM
I just got some Pinnacle clay a few weeks ago and it came with a plastic case.

was it this Pinnacle?

Pinnacle’s Ultra Poly Clay is the single finest clay composition available today. Use auto Detailing clay to deep clean car paint, glass and chrome. (http://www.autogeek.net/ultra-poly-detailing-clay.html)

i just REREAD the webpage and noticed this. didnt notice this before. so im happy!

Properly stored in its plastic case, Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay will retain its elastic nature and workability.

CEE DOG
07-20-2010, 07:14 AM
The way I've always stored clay and it seems to be working for me is to put the clay in a ziplock baggie and spray it down liberally with clay lube and zip it up. I then place that baggie into the plastic container. I recently used clay that had been stored in that manner for about a year without use and it was not the least bit dried up.

I use exactly the same process.