PDA

View Full Version : engine detailing

solohikr
07-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Hello all, new here.
I have a question about engine detailing. A few years ago as in (10) or so I purchased a product at Autozone or Advance and it was a two step process for engine cleaning.
step #1 was an aerosol spray on a cold engine, then heat the engine up Idleing, then shut it back off let cool and rinse with garden hose.
step #2 was a non-aerosol trigger bottle that you sprayed on when engine was hot and dry. close the hood come back in a few hours and BAM the engine looked awsome.
It would stay that way for about 3 months. not sticky or oily dust would not stick right off. as the product wore off you would notice more dust.

Any way my question; where can I find this stuff or has anyone heard of it or used a similar product?
These parts store don't sell it anymore and look at my like im crazy when I tell them what it did.
Thanks

JonMiles
07-18-2010, 06:17 PM
black magic has an aerosol engine cleaner, it works pretty well. The other stuff sounds like the engine cleaner that my supplier sells called engine clean and coat.

ScottB
07-18-2010, 08:20 PM
alot of those aerosol products had heacy VOC's and were removed from market. I find general light cleaning weekly while washing/drying helps so that you never need something heavier.

For the first time, I would use a safe degreaser or APC. Try not to stream water, and if using direct water cover important electical parts, and then use non-silicone dressings (303) on rubber and vacuum lines and something like Klasse AIO on painted areas as it will clean and protect in one shot.

Bullitt AK
07-18-2010, 08:20 PM
heres an alternative i have used before with good results for cleaning up the engine bay...thats not my write up i just pasted from another forum...make sure you cover your coil pack or all coils if you have a coil on plug car

Start engine, get it warm, not hot, just nice and warm. As an example if the car was fully cooled, run it for 5-8 minutes. Turn off engine.

Cover the alternator and air filter on your intake, Aluminum foil works great since the motor is warm. Everything else can be subject to light rinsing type spray, including the covered fuse panel. All of these areas get hit by water when driven in the rain.

Lightly spray entire engine bay with water from hose, you will see some light steaming, this is good.

Spray the entire engine bay, including firewall, plastic parts, metal parts, loom, coils and hoses with Simple Green. Set the hood down, not fully closed, just to it's safety (http://audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133753#) catch point, and go find something else to do for 15 to 20 minutes. Let the simple green do it's work. Closing the hood let's the simple green interact with the steam you created with the warm motor. This loosens the tough stuff up so you don't have to work so hard in those heavily soiled areas.

Open hood, look for heavily soiled areas, wipe them with a rag, use more simple green if necessary. Rinse lightly with hose.

Spray entire engine bay with F-21, it foams, coat everything just like the simple green coating you did.

Close hood again, walk away for 10-20 minutes or until nearly all the foam has dissipated.

Open hood, Wipe up any areas that water settled and such. Wipe up any areas that the F-21 didn't dissipate on it's own.

You will note that the F-21 restores the black plastic parts to the same oem flat black color they were when new.. It leaves the paint shiney with no streaks on the fenders and fire wall. Best of all, it is not greasey to the touch.

Emile
07-18-2010, 11:37 PM
I think you are talking about CD-2 Engine Detailer. After cleaning the engine, you just spray it on all engine surfaces, let it dry for a while and it's supposed to make the engine look shiny and resist dust and dirt for a while.

You can buy it at your local Auto Zone for like $7 a can, but I've been told that a lot of Auto Zones are constantly sold out of the stuff.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Optimum power clean(undiluted), pressure washer rinse(cover exposed alternator), dress with CD-2....DONE! Very easy, no scrubbing needed, at least for me.

Showroom Shine
07-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Years ago I use to warm up the engine and spray degreaser all over it and go to the self serve and spray it off. With todays newer vehicles you need to be extra careful what gets wet. Cover the inportant componets with something to keep them dry!

Locutus
07-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Hello all, new here.
I have a question about engine detailing. A few years ago as in (10) or so I purchased a product at Autozone or Advance and it was a two step process for engine cleaning.
step #1 was an aerosol spray on a cold engine, then heat the engine up Idleing, then shut it back off let cool and rinse with garden hose.
step #2 was a non-aerosol trigger bottle that you sprayed on when engine was hot and dry. close the hood come back in a few hours and BAM the engine looked awsome.
It would stay that way for about 3 months. not sticky or oily dust would not stick right off. as the product wore off you would notice more dust.

Any way my question; where can I find this stuff or has anyone heard of it or used a similar product?
These parts store don't sell it anymore and look at my like im crazy when I tell them what it did.
Thanks

From your description you had the original CD-2 Engine Kit (Engine Degreaser, and Dressing), and no it is not available any more. Occasionaly you can find it on eBay, but even that is a rare thing anymore. The stuff was awesome! A good APC mixed strong, and CD-2 Engine Dress, or a good dressing, like 303.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Years ago I use to warm up the engine and spray degreaser all over it and go to the self serve and spray it off. With todays newer vehicles you need to be extra careful what gets wet. Cover the inportant componets with something to keep them dry!
If anything, I've read that today's engines are pretty waterproof. I haven't had a problem using a pressure washer as of yet...