PDA

View Full Version : White Powdery Stain / Corvette Interior

Pages : [1] 2 3

VR8
07-18-2010, 03:58 PM
On a recent detail job one of the customers first questions was about his Corvettes interior. It seems this white powdery, dusty area keeps showing back up even after cleaning.

Passenger door jam (w/my finger marks)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6200&stc=1&d=1279486151

Front windshield area

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6201&stc=1&d=1279486151

Passenger dash

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6202&stc=1&d=1279486151

I cleaned it with Meguiar's APC and it looked fine, but I wonder if the powder will return. My guess is it's from the AC/ventilation system, so it will likely reoccur. Anyone else see this in a Vette or other car? This one stays in a garage so it doesn't get the daily abuse of sunshine like most cars.

cobalt9123
07-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Never seen that before...you could be right about the AC/ventilation. Either that or someone used something terrible to clean it and it won't go away..

AeroCleanse
07-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Not sure about the cause, but a recent client with a C5 has the same issue, but to a much lesser extent. 1z Cockpit Premium took care of it.

Are you dressing it with anything after APC?

VR8
07-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Are you dressing it with anything after APC?

My usual dressing is Meg's HyperDressing, but in this case, I really wanted to see if the residue would come back before I added anything to it. With very little wear from the sun, the dash looks great after just cleaning.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-18-2010, 04:46 PM
This is very typical of the vette interiors. They turn white if you do not continually treat them. It is the out gassing of the plastic. It has nothing to do with the A/C.

AeroCleanse
07-18-2010, 04:56 PM
This is very typical of the vette interiors. They turn white if you do not continually treat them. It is the out gassing of the plastic. It has nothing to do with the A/C.

Seems a shame on a car that costs so much doesn't it.

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Seems a shame on a car that costs so much doesn't it.

It sure does, but if you can afford one you should be able to afford a bottle of cockpit premium to fix the problem. Small price to pay for us vette owners that enjoy America's muscle car.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-18-2010, 05:33 PM
When I bought my 07 Z, the original owner only drove it 4.5K miles in 3 years. All the interior panels had the same type of white residue(not as bad as this one). I cleaned it with cockpit premium as dana suggested and it cleaned it very nicely. I still felt the interior needed some "pep", so I applied mothers protectant, then lightly buffed and it looks awesome.

VR8
07-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Is it prevalent in certian years or is it most of them? And do you have any idea if it occurs in other GM products? They are bound to use similar interiors in other models.

CEE DOG
07-18-2010, 05:47 PM

Interesting. My buddy has an 07 (a little over 1000 miles) He sees my car more then he sees his own. Anyway he was getting the same thing. I ordered him some 303AP and it took care of it. Came back in the spots he didn't apply it right. After a few months it came back everywhere. I was starting to think that poor vette was suffocating since he never lets it run free!

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Is it prevalent in certian years or is it most of them? And do you have any idea if it occurs in other GM products? They are bound to use similar interiors in other models.

My C5's did the samething, my C4"s did not. I have not seen or heard of any of GM makes having this problem but I am sure the same plastic is in a few other makes.

Interesting. My buddy has an 07 (a little over 1000 miles) He sees my car more then he sees his own. Anyway he was getting the same thing. I ordered him some 303AP and it took care of it. Came back in the spots he didn't apply it right. After a few months it came back everywhere. I was starting to think that poor vette was suffocating since he never lets it run free!

Mine is the same way Corey, just sits in a dark garage and talks to my Cobra.

AeroCleanse
07-18-2010, 05:55 PM
It sure does, but if you can afford one you should be able to afford a bottle of cockpit premium to fix the problem. Small price to pay for us vette owners that enjoy America's muscle car.

I thought the Vette was supposed to be more of America's sports car rather than a muscle car like the Camaro and Challenger.

Sure Cockpit Premium fixes it, but when you pay that much, should you have to pay anything extra to fix it?

BobbyG
07-18-2010, 05:58 PM

This is a strange one in my book.

I've read everything you guys wrote and I have no reason to doubt any of you.

I bought a 2004 Z06 Corvette new and have never seen anything like like this. My Z06 is always garaged. Like many other Corvette owners I don't drive mine much and it sits garaged for 5 to 6 months during the winter months. The garage is a separate building and is not heated unless I'm working out there...

WRAPT C5Z06
07-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Mine is the same way Corey, just sits in a dark garage and talks to my Cobra.
LOL!!! You're on a roll, Dana! What year Cobra?

WRAPT C5Z06
07-18-2010, 06:00 PM
This is a strange one in my book.

I've read everything you guys wrote and I have no reason to doubt any of you.

I bought a 2004 Z06 Corvette new and have never seen anything like like this. My Z06 is always garaged. Like many other Corvette owners I don't drive mine much and it sits garaged for 5 to 6 months during the winter months. The garage is a separate building and is not heated unless I'm working out there...
C5 interiors don't use the same type of material as C6 interiors. I've had both. :xyxthumbs: