PDA

View Full Version : Flex 3401 problem

pattcook
07-17-2010, 07:00 PM
I recently switched to the edge conversion bp. The unit always ran hot but it seemed to really run hot with minimal use with the edge. When I switched back to the original backing plate now the unit is jammed and won,t run on either bp. With the bp off the unit runs and rotates but when I attatch a bp its locked up. Am I not putting the bp on properly? It seems that the gears on the unit itself do not move. whats up? thanks- John

ScottB
07-17-2010, 07:28 PM
could the felt ring be contacting the backing plate ??? Is the screw tight (allen) in middle ?? I really dont know why, just thinking of some areas to test.

pattcook
07-17-2010, 07:31 PM
could the felt ring be contacting the backing plate ??? Is the screw tight (allen) in middle ?? I really dont know why, just thinking of some areas to test.
What I don,t understand is the gears on the bp mesh with the gears on the unit but the gears on the unit won,t budge. Aren,t they supposed to turn also?

VR8
07-18-2010, 07:54 PM
What I don,t understand is the gears on the bp mesh with the gears on the unit but the gears on the unit won,t budge. Aren,t they supposed to turn also?

No pattcook, the gears on the Flex unit itself do not move, only the spindle in the center will rotate (viewing the unit with no backing plate on).

Can you tell if the lock is depressed? The gear lock button is on top of the Flex. Maybe it is jammed and permanently locking the drive. ??

pattcook
07-18-2010, 08:05 PM
No pattcook, the gears on the Flex unit itself do not move, only the spindle in the center will rotate (viewing the unit with no backing plate on).

Can you tell if the lock is depressed? The gear lock button is on top of the Flex. Maybe it is jammed and permanently locking the drive. ??

just went out and checked the lock button. With the bp off it works normally. When I put the bp on the machine tries to rotate but is jammed and wont move.

VR8
07-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Is the backing plate fully seated onto the center spindle? It needs to be aligned, seated over the oval shape, before it will fully seat itself into place.

I realize you've changed these a dozen times and don't mean to sound like I'm giving elementary advice. I just can't think of anything else that would cause the backing plate to lock up the Flex.

pattcook
07-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Is the backing plate fully seated onto the center spindle? It needs to be aligned, seated over the oval shape, before it will fully seat itself into place.

I realize you've changed these a dozen times and don't mean to sound like I'm giving elementary advice. I just can't think of anything else that would cause the backing plate to lock up the Flex.

Yes its seated properly. Its aligned . I have taken it off before thats why I,m stumped. The gears mesh and the bp slips on properly. Then the unit won,t rotate, either with power or not. I thought may be a part fell out or slipped or whatever but with the bp off the unit seems to operate normally. I even took the gear ring out of the unit and put the bp on and the unit turns freely.

pattcook
07-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Yes its seated properly. Its aligned . I have taken it off before thats why I,m stumped. The gears mesh and the bp slips on properly. Then the unit won,t rotate, either with power or not. I thought may be a part fell out or slipped or whatever but with the bp off the unit seems to operate normally. I even took the gear ring out of the unit and put the bp on and the unit turns freely.

Just dropped unit off t service center in W. sacramento. the mechanic was pretty sure it was the bearing on the spindle shaft.