PDA

View Full Version : Hello from VA

Julesh
07-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi all, first post. This is kinda' long, but I have a funny story. If you don't want to read it, I do have a question, just scroll down to the last paragraph. Thanks.

Got into detailing when I got my first nice car, a 00' Firebird Formula in navy blue metallic. Used to Zaino the heck out of it. One time while driving it at night on rt. 355 in MD, which is a 3 lane road each way that takes you right through the main areas of Rockville, out of the blue this huge torrent of water came down on my car. I couldn't figure out where the heck it came from. It wasn't raining and I hadn't driven under anything. I was really ticked because my car had just been washed and cleaned that day. So I looked on each side of me and saw the firehouse. I guessed that it was a fire-hose.... that explained the huge torrent of water that came out from no where. When I got home I actually called and found the number to the firehouse and spoke to the fire chief. I asked him if anyone was spraying water into the street. He said he was training his firemen. I explained to him that I, like a fireman, like to keep my vehicles cleaned (reminds me of that beatles tune) and spotless and don't appreciate them being sprayed with high pressure hoses right after I have done a detail and especially not while I'm driving. I also told him it wasn't safe. His reply was "how am I supposed to train my firemen"? I said I don't care, but please don't spray water into the street. Now, a sane person, who does not obsess about swirl marks, tree sap, bird droppings and water spots on their car would clearly not have cared at all. But I, like everyone else on this forum, am not completely sane. I like to keep my car immaculate. Anyway, I sold the firebird a few years ago. I needed something with more room in the backseat that was a bit less squirly in the rain and snow. So last week I clayed my car and used some mother's cleaning wax on it. Probably should have used something else since it's only a couple years old and the paint is good, but I didn't know any better at the time. So I'll enjoy lurking around here and posting occasionally. I'll do a better job on my car in a few months when it needs another detailing. Just did the inside today with some nice products I ordered from autogeek and it looks and smells great.

My question is, right above the fuel filler door I have this haze. It looks like some kid with greasy fingers smeared something on the car. Even after I clayed and cleaner waxed it's still kinda there and you have to look at the right angle to see it. I can't get a picture of it because it doesn't come out. I'm wondering if some gasoline got on there or something when my wife was filling it up. Any ideas how someone would remove something like that? I wish I had a picture... I tried but it just won't come out. Well thanks for reading my long a** first post.

Mike Phillips
07-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Hi Julesh,

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

But I, like everyone else on this forum, am not completely sane.

Wait till you get to know us a little better... :D

My question is, right above the fuel filler door I have this haze. It looks like some kid with greasy fingers smeared something on the car. Even after I clayed and cleaner waxed it's still kinda there and you have to look at the right angle to see it.

Any ideas how someone would remove something like that? I wish I had a picture... I tried but it just won't come out. Well thanks for reading my long a** first post.

Most stains on clear coats are topical and can be removed with something that will abrade the surface. If a cleaner/wax isn't getting it then you might need to try something a little more aggressive.

Not sure what you have but call our 1-800-869-3011 and cite this thread and one of our Techs can help you get the right product.

:)

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Welcome to AG. Where are you in VA? If you are near by I am willing to help you out.

O.C.Detailing
07-17-2010, 09:25 AM
As am I if you're near Lynchburg. Let us know where you are. :) Welcome to the sickness.