PDA

View Full Version : Interested in a "Sample Pass" thread?

Pages : [1] 2

Mindflux
07-16-2010, 01:24 PM
On some cigar boards I frequent they do "Cigar Passes". What this is is someone collects a bunch of cigars from established members and boxes them up. A List is made of people (newbies a lot of the time) that would like to participate.

The box is then shipped in a sequential order of the users interested. The first user gets the box, opens it and removes a single sample to review, is given a week to do the review. The user also puts in a sample of something ELSE, reseals the box and sends it to the next person on the "pass" list. Each time it's shipped the shipper must provide the delivery confirmation code from USPS (or Fedex/UPS) to prove the box was shipped on.

The cycle repeats until there's no more interest.

Any thoughts on doing something like that here? :) I think it'd be really cool.

If the sample sizes were large enough we could also just have the user use the sample, review it and pack the box back up and ship it off to the next person so that they could chose to review the same product (if it were interesting enough).

We could also keep the samples "blind", aka someone holds a master list of the sample bottle contents. They're labeled simply as "sealant #1" or "wax #1", so that if we got a wonky person that thinks they want to just take the best items out of the box they'd have no way of knowing which items those would be until the pass is completed and the owner of the master list reveals what each item was. (this is easy with cigars, just remove the bands)

Dubbin1
07-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Sounds like an easy way for someone to score a box of goodies for free.

Mindflux
07-16-2010, 01:33 PM

That's always a possibility, but when that happens on cigar boards the user is banned permanently. But in general most folks have more honest intentions when they participate in a "pass" like this. I'd actually like to get a moderators opinion on this and whether they'd support banning a user that breaks a rule like keeping the whole box.

Matt S.
07-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me! If we keep the samples small I think it would work out pretty well. I can't imagine why someone would want to ruin all the fun just to steal a box of 2 ounce sample bottles. :)

Mindflux
07-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me! If we keep the samples small I think it would work out pretty well. I can't imagine why someone would want to ruin all the fun just to steal a box of 2 ounce sample bottles. :)

I agree. :)

If someone were to break the rules, do you think the moderators (ie you/meghan) would be willing to lay down banishment for such an event?

Matt S.
07-16-2010, 01:36 PM
I agree. :)

If someone were to break the rules, do you think the moderators (ie you/meghan) would be willing to lay down banishment for such an event?

I don't see that being a problem.

Mindflux
07-16-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't see that being a problem.

Well hopefully it's not a problem, but there should be repercussions if such an event should occur. If the user just gets off nilly willy then others might think they could do it too (if another pass was ever made)

As long as AGO is on board with this I think it could be real fun! We have a pretty laid back user base here. :dblthumb2:

Maldini
07-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Sounds like a great idea! I can't say I would participate given my lower level of experience, but I would certainly enjoy reading the reviews.

Mindflux
07-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Sounds like a great idea! I can't say I would participate given my lower level of experience, but I would certainly enjoy reading the reviews.
Well part of the whole idea behind the pass is to let newbies and veterans alike try something they may not have tried yet. It might be more exciting for newbies since a lot of veterans have had their hands on.. well everything. :p

Fly bye
07-16-2010, 02:00 PM

:laughing:

Mindflux
07-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Of course, why would you want to keep a bunch of 2oz samples when the person who shipped it to you is privy to your name and address. That would suck if it got shared to people who wanted the sample box back to keep the pass going ;)

Dubbin1
07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Of course, why would you want to keep a bunch of 2oz samples when the person who shipped it to you is privy to your name and address.

LOL it happens all the time. I think its a great idea as long as we don't get some bozo stealing it all. You also have to factor in the shipping cost of the box of goodies. It may be cheaper just to buy the product you want to try ;)

Mindflux
07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
LOL it happens all the time. I think its a great idea as long as we don't get some bozo stealing it all. You also have to factor in the shipping cost of the box of goodies. It may be cheaper just to buy the product you want to try ;)

That's not the point of the pass though. ;)

Bullitt AK
07-16-2010, 08:36 PM
say i did send the box to the next person...next person could just have to say that they never got itn and then they would think i kept the box...wouldnt really work

CEE DOG
07-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Really cool idea. The bottles not being labeled would add a whole new twist as it would remove any bias towards/between products. Of course some would be recognizable by smell and look.