PDA

View Full Version : polishing metal....by the yard

Impressions
07-15-2010, 08:54 AM
I know that Flitz and Mothers will polish aluminum to a chrome like finish......but what about volume of real estate?

anyone ever done a tanker or something this big?
what about polishing with M205 w/da and polishing pads??

I've scheduled for a test spot

feel free to chime in, I have to figure out a price just for the tank

sullysdetailing
07-15-2010, 09:16 AM
There was someone that Polished a full plane it was an old bomber I'll try to find the post

oldmodman
07-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I helped a trucker friend prep his truck for a show and I used a Cyclo polisher and Simichrome polish on his two side saddle diesel tanks. It was an all day job and I ended up FILTHY! But the tanks were like mirrors.

cfd135
07-15-2010, 02:43 PM
AG has Wolfgang metal polish that works very well. I've used many other liquid polishes with success as well. M205 won't do much if anything to metal. Get several wool pads and a lot of towels, run your rotary at 1-1500rpm and prepare to get dirty and tired! They cake up fast, and once the residue hardens on the pad, it's almost useless. Wolfgang Pad Rejuvenator works wonders on aluminum residue. I have used a PC with a foam cutting pad on aluminum, it's better for a maintenance shine than a restoration though. I would think that would run in the $4-500 range here in New England. Good luck!

TLMitchell
07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
There was someone that Polished a full plane it was an old bomber I'll try to find the post

It was Jose Fernandez from Superior Shine, did a B25 and a B17, also was part of a 707 polishing I saw somewhere. Posted a couple of places I first saw the bombers on Meg's Online.

The Generals B17 Bomber, "FUDDY DUDDY" polished perfect! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32292)

SAM 970 - The first jet "Air Force One" detailed !! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26634)

TL

Impressions
07-18-2010, 11:49 AM
thanks for the info guys and the link TL......

fancyfootwork
07-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Holy! The Fuddy Duddy plane is ridiculous!