PDA

View Full Version : What to watch out for when using a rotary buffer?

gibbsj87
07-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Can everyone post pictures of what to "watch out for" when using a rotary buffer? Like burning though the paint, and other various things.

I know there is one thing my friend showed me. There are these little marks, it almost looks like the clear coat got mared in a area the size of a thumb nail. It almost feels as if you could pick it off the paint. He said he doesn't know how he got it there or what its called, but it was there after he got done rotary buffing the car.

Anyway, post away if you will :-)

Mike Phillips
09-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I have lots of pictures on the Internet in general but no galleries dedicated towards the topic of "what to watch our for"....

Here s few things to watch out for...

Wiper arms
Antennas
Windshield water squirters
Rearview Mirrors
ALL plastic trim, especially the curse of the car world, pebble textured black plastic trim
Felt of fuzzy gaskets like you find around sun roofs on some cars...
Any seal or gasket around any sun roof on any car
Corners, especially if they are pointy
Raised Body lines
Edges, like the edge of a hood or door
Fresh air grills
Emblems, Badges, Scripts, Hood Ornaments
Known thin spots
Any opening like a scoop that you can accidental sling splatter
Chrome or stainless trim, you can't hurt it by buffing on it but your pad can catch an edge and yank the trim off the car
Bumpers, anything that might have a sharp edge where you could catch your spinning pad between the bumper and the body panel

That's off the top of my head... classic cars are so much more fun to work on than modern cars for a number of reasons, but seriously, anything with pebble textured black plastic trim, tape it off no matter which type of machine polisher you're using...

"Polishing paint is polishing paint, detailing is getting the wax out of the cracks" (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/22285-polishing-paint-polishing-paint-detailing-getting-wax-out-cracks.html)

:)