PDA

View Full Version : Review:Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus

Pages : [1] 2 3

cobalt9123
07-14-2010, 07:02 PM
First things first, I'm a terrible photographer. Second thing second, these photos were taken with an iPhone so it's even worse :xyxthumbs:.
On to the review!
Corey (CEEDOG) was generous enough to send me a sample of Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus (Thanks Corey :) ). I'll admit, I was skeptical at first seeing as 303 Aerospace REALLY impressed me when I first used it (Couldn't believe how it darkened up my trim, protected it, and got rid of the "chalky-ness".)
But UTTGP, is on a completely different level :dblthumb2:

I used 303 Aerospace Protectant Wipes in this review and test to make sure I had something, and you all had something, to base it off of; as you will see in the 50/50's.

I applied the UTTGP with an old Pinnacle wax applicator as shown. The UTTGP did have a stronger scent than 303 (it was a chemical smell, kind of smelled like IPA), but it wasn't very noticeable and had no ill affect at all.

I will be applying this to my Black '07 Cobalt LT as my primary driver ('09 Cobalt SS/TC) is already coated in 303 Aerospace and would hinder the results.

The "contestants":
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP_001.jpg

A 50/50, nothing on the left, UTTGP on the right:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP_003.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP_004.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP_005.jpg

Wow awesome transformation, huh? I started looking around the car for other things to apply it to:

Nothing on bottom, UTTGP on top:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP_006.jpg

Nothing on top, UTTGP on bottom (excuse the smudges/dirt, it needs to be cleaned with some Griot's Rubber Cleaner :) :
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP_0091.jpg

So how does it go on? I'd say "thick" compared to 303 Aerospace protectant. UTTGP is not a thick liquid at all, but it is thicker than 303. 303 is a very thin liquid and dries almost instantly after applying it to something. UTTGP is "thicker" and takes a little bit to dry. I like how it goes on, and a little goes a very, VERY, long ways. I used hardly any in this test.

Here is where things get interesting. I applied 303 Aerospace to the left, and Ultima to the right. I let it dwell for 15 minutes and then wiped both sides with a microfiber cloth just to make sure that it wasn't just the wetness of it being applied that was affecting the results:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP_0101.jpg
Can you see the line where UTTGP(right) ends and 303 Begins(left)?
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP_0111.jpg
You can really see how well it darkens your trim in this picture:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP_0121.jpg
A closer look:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP_0141.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP_0151.jpg
The competitors standing by their results (sorry for the arm shadow, but wow look at the shine on the UTTGP side):
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP_0171.jpg

Final Conclusions
I was a huge fan of 303 before Corey sent me this sample of UTTGP. I am still a huge fan of 303, but it is obvious to me after this test that Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus can give you a deeper shine and a better look on your trim. As far as the reliability and longevity of each, I will have to update this thread at a later time with pictures of the same areas.

All in all though, Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus is a very concentrated, easy to use, fantastic product that I will be purchasing more of. Some people will argue that 303 Aerospace is cheaper and can give similar results, which is true, but for those who really want that fantastic look of "better than new trim", such as I do, Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus is the way to go.

Also, I found that when UTTGP was applied to a sponge or foam applicator (like the Pinnacle one I used) it goes a very, very long way. It is what I consider to be very concentrated. Its kind of like how people consider some all purpose cleaners or instant detailers to be better than others because they're so concentrated that they offer good value for the money even if the price is high (Meguiar's APC+ and Optimum Instant Detailer in a large container come to mind).
And as usual, this is what I'm about to scarf down after I'm done writing this review:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/887/medium/Review_of_UTTGP.jpg
Fried chicken livers, Crunchy fried okra, cornbread, and seasoned green beans, mmm :props:

Thanks for looking! Im the MAN

JonM
07-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Nice review, thanks. I'll consider this next time I make a purchase, and let us know about durability....please!

cobalt9123
07-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Nice review, thanks. I'll consider this next time I make a purchase, and let us know about durability....please!

Sure thing Jon, I will try to take pictures and post them in a week or so. Hopefully with beading shots as well :xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
07-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Awesome review! Wow, UTTGP gave a much better look than 303. I wonder how it compares to PB Trim restorer?

DARK HORSE
07-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Great review Jordan, thanks for sharing it! As many of you know, I am a huge fan of PB trim restorer and 303, but I too recently used Ultima T&TGP for the first time (thanks Corey), and I must say Im the MAN... If the durability is as good as I think it's going to be, it will become my new favorite go to trim dressing/protectant :props:

cobalt9123
07-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Awesome review! Wow, UTTGP gave a much better look than 303. I wonder how it compares to PB Trim restorer?

Thanks! It definitely gave a better look. I can't speak for PB Trim Restorer but I believe Tad can chime in there. :xyxthumbs:

Great review Jordan, thanks for sharing it! As many of you know, I am a huge fan of PB trim restorer and 303, but I too recently used Ultima T&TGP for the first time (thanks Corey), and I must say Im the MAN... If the durability is as good as I think it's going to be, it will become my new favorite go to trim dressing/protectant :props:
Thanks Tad! I second everything you said. Once I see how it holds up, I may order a big bottle Im the MAN

jayhkr
07-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Great review, I can get 303 locally, but may start looking into UTTGP now. I really like the deeper, darker look.

cobalt9123
07-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Great review, I can get 303 locally, but may start looking into UTTGP now. I really like the deeper, darker look.

Thanks!
It's on sale right now buddy:
Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus, tire & trim protectant, tire dressing, rubber protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-tire-trim-guard.html)

CEE DOG
07-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Awesome review Jordan! I really enjoyed it!! From my experience with Ultima products durability will be measured in months. Definitely a good thing to apply very lightly :dblthumb2:
That fried okra's making me hungry!! :hungry:

I am really impressed with the Ultima looks after knowing how good 303 makes things look!

btw the directions on bottle state that for porous surfaces like tires and rubber trim to allow the product to dry without buffing. For hard glossy surfaces like wheels or chrome trim buff dry to a high gloss shine. For additional gloss on tires a second coat may be added after 20 minutes. Also after trim or wheels etc are sealed all you need is soap and water to clean. No need to use harsh cleaners.
Btw: Did you clean the surface well before applying? If not it will affect your durability.

I can't wait to try the product out for myself!

rohnramirez
07-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Excellent job on the review. I love what it did to the wiperblade assembly. :)

cobalt9123
07-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Awesome review Jordan! I really enjoyed it!! From my experience with Ultima products durability will be measured in months. Definitely a good thing to apply very lightly :dblthumb2:
That fried okra's making me hungry!! :hungry:

I am really impressed with the Ultima looks after knowing how good 303 makes things look!

btw the directions on bottle state that for porous surfaces like tires and rubber trim to allow the product to dry without buffing. For hard glossy surfaces like wheels or chrome trim buff dry to a high gloss shine. For additional gloss on tires a second coat may be added after 20 minutes. Also after trim or wheels etc are sealed all you need is soap and water to clean. No need to use harsh cleaners.
Btw: Did you clean the surface well before applying? If not it will affect your durability.

I can't wait to try the product out for myself!

No Corey, thank YOU for sending it to me! :props:
Thanks for the hint on the directions, I had no idea as I saw none on AG's website. I did clean the rubber with an ONR wipedown before. But as you can see, it didn't do a great job. It needed to be thoroughly cleaned with something like Griot's Rubber Cleaner before I did this test, but I just couldn't wait that long as I don't have any GRC at the time.

Thanks again!

Excellent job on the review. I love what it did to the wiperblade assembly. :)

Thanks a lot man! It really is fantastic.

CEE DOG
07-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the hint on the directions, I had no idea as I saw none on AG's website. I did clean the rubber with an ONR wipedown before. But as you can see, it didn't do a great job. It needed to be thoroughly cleaned with something like Griot's Rubber Cleaner before I did this test, but I just couldn't wait that long as I don't have any GRC at the time.

My apologies for not sending the directions sooner. I haven't used the UTTGP yet so as I was reading your review I wasn't sure if it was per Ultima directions or not. Everything sounded good to me! But I thought I'd better go ahead and send them. It actually says to use a foam applicator in lieu of the enclosed applicator so I thought maybe you had gotten some partial directions from somewhere.

I just consulted my Ultima users guide as it is actually more informative and accurate then the bottle labeling for each of the various products. I'll type a few things out here for everybody.

-For best results apply only after tires and trim are clean and completely dry.
-May be applied in sun but for best results apply in cool shaded area.
-About 1/4 ounce is all that is need to treat 4 complete wheel and tires.
-Wipe the product in well. (When applying the product should not go on looking wet)
-A full detail of all trim, tires, wheels, and engine will require less then 2 ounces.
-After initial application even less product is required for maintenace down the road
-Full cure time in about 12 hours.
-When cured UTTGP will not wash off
-Engines and Exhaust: UTTGP can be used on your engine up to temperatures of 500 F
...Only surface that gets too hot for UTTGP is the exhaust system (exhaust manifold, turbocharger, exhaust heat shields, etc. On these surfaces UTTGP will gracefully evaporate without discoloration.
-Plastic cladding and truck bed liners apply 3-4 times per year
After application
-Allthough you may be tempted to wipe or buff it is not necessary. If you insist the longer you wait the better.
-After 20 minutes you can drive the vehicle
-Tires and rubber surfaces will dry to the touch in 5 to 10 minutes... On plastic allow 15-20 minutes
-After treatment your vehicles trim will be nearly carefree for three full months. While we have tested for visible protection for up to a full year proper trim care dictates that 4 treatments a year offers the best protection possible.

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus is a hyper concentrated polymer nano-coating that can be applied to most flexible surfaces like vinyl and rubber and hard surfaces like plastic, and metal to coat, seal, and beautify.

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus contains premium UV inhibitors that stop oxidation and UV deterioration dead in their tracks. In fact there is no better treatment for RV's, trailers, and other vehicles that sit in the sun for long periods. (That last sentence seems like a strong statement) We've gotta test some of these UV claims.

Dubbin1
07-14-2010, 10:22 PM
ahh man I wish we could get fried okra up north here.

Oh and nice review

cobalt9123
07-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Thank you for the information Corey, I actually did most of that without even knowing :)

ahh man I wish we could get fried okra up north here.

Oh and nice review

Thanks Dwayne! I love fried okra. It is one of my favorite things to eat :hungry:

I can get you a ton of fried Okra if you build me a garage like yours....:drool:

TLMitchell
07-14-2010, 10:46 PM

IME, the restorative properties are similar to PB's TR, UTTGP is much longer lasting and doesn't wash off or run in the rain. I used it on my tonneau cover a few weeks ago, buffed off the sheen to a matte finish after a few hours and it's unfazed after 4 washes. 303 would be gone after 1 wash, TR after a few washes. The TR left black streaks down the sides of my white truck after a day in the rain.

Gave the Ultima a try on the tires after pleasing results elsewhere. It appears about the same as the matte finish after buffing down an application of Stoner's More Shine, lasts about the same as well. As an aerosol is a lot easier application, especially with raised WOL tires I'll be sticking with the spray there.

UTTGP restores as well as Black WOW and is easier to use, beads like 845, doesn't run and appears thus far to have longevity better than anything else I've used. It'll be replacing most of the exterior dressings and protectants in my cabinet.

Great review by the OP... got me off my duff to add the observations I'd planned to share but hadn't got a round tuit yet.

TL