PDA

View Full Version : 9227 from Makita

rohnramirez
07-14-2010, 06:14 AM
I noticed that there still isn't an in-depth review of the 9227, so i thought of sharing what i know and have researched. I kinda learned that there were differences in regional models the hard way. Anyway, off to the review.

Name of product (Models): 9227C / 9227CY / 9227CB / 9227CX3

Versions: US, Europe and Asia

Manufacturer: Makita Corporation

http://www.makitauk.com/images/web/product/9227CB_lr.jpg

Corporate Product description: (Same on all models)

Variable speed (600-3,000 RPM) dial for maximum control; ideal for ultra slow polishing
Soft start feature for smooth start-ups
Pre-set speed setting dial (from 600-3,000 RPM) for maximum control
Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load
Easily converts to a sander
3 prong plug to prevent static electricity accumulation
Fast and powerful polishing for clearcoat finishes
Lock-on button for continuous use at one speed

Accessories:

1 Each Sanding Disc #50 - 7" (180mm) - (742070-A-5)
Rubber Pad (743012-7)
Lock Nut (224517-1)
Lock Nut Wrench (782412-6)
Side Handle (152490-4)
Optional Bonnet which Requires Optional Hook-and-Loop Pad - 7" (180mm) - (743052-5)
Centering Sleeve 18
Hoop handle (416256-9)
Wool Pad

Specifications: (US, Europe & Asia)

No Loads Speed: 0-600 / 3,000 R.P.M.
Voltage: 110v; 230v; 230v

Continuous Rating Input: 1,200w

Spindle Thread Size: (11 UNC) 5/8"; m14x2; m16x2
Length: 18-1/2" (470mm)
Net Weight: 6.6 lbs. (3 kl.)

Note: Spindle Thread Sizes and voltage are not the same on all versions

"Standard equipment and Specifications differ by country or area."

My Personal Experience:
I first learned of using a rotary in a body shop. My friends body shop has two 9227C polishers. They only use wool pads. All that time prior to joining AGO, i only knew of wool pads. And at that time, i thought purchasing a DA would be better than my Makita, until i tried the DA. I never knew about foam pads, and how they would bring a finer and better finish. And yes, everything was applied with a wool pad; compounds, waxes (they call it polishes but they're using TW wax), and glazes. Years and years and years and years of torture, getting the machine wet, not washing the wool pads, getting stepped on, pulling the plugs, dropping it accidentally, etc. Up to date, both of them still work smoothly!!! Bottom line...this machine is a tank!

I love the position of the speed knob, just wished it was a bit lower, near the edge of the tool. It is easiest to control a rotary with a foam pad with your guiding arm farther from the pad (for me at least).

The idea of having an electronic speed control that maintains the selected rpm regardless of load and pressure is brilliant. I've tried other brands that don't have it, to put it lightly, it sucked that it bogs down.

The lowest speed setting is also great, having 600rpm, but i barely use that at all, except when spreading the product for just about 3-5seconds. It is expressly stated in the manual that prolonged use on low speeds will overheat the polisher.

The soft start feature is excellent for those new to rotary polishing since they can start the machine ON the paint, but i do not advise doing that. And this feature comes in handy when you're not using the lock-on button when making really soft passes on an area you want to concentrate on.

I am still intrigued with the Flex, and still want to get it. The Makita 9227 is my polisher of choice! I love it, and there is nothing that i have thrown at it that it hasn't successfully polished! I would readily recommend it to anyone. Thanks for reading.

cobalt9123
07-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the review! I might get this when I decide to go Rotary. But I'm undecided...

DARK HORSE
07-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Great information Rohn, thanks for taking the time to share it with us!

C. Charles Hahn
07-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Honestly, even though the Makita is truly an excellent machine, I have to say that the Flex 3403 is even better IMHO. The lack of heavy weight alone makes it worth a lot when getting involved in marathon polishing sessions.

cobalt9123
07-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Honestly, even though the Makita is truly an excellent machine, I have to say that the Flex 3403 is even better IMHO. The lack of heavy weight alone makes it worth a lot when getting involved in marathon polishing sessions.

Some say that the heavy weight of the 9227 does the work for you? Meaning less work? True?

rohnramirez
07-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks for kind words guys.

@Charlie - I have to agree that it takes getting used to the weight of a rotary. I do not have any direct experience with the lightweight Flex, but i heard that it overheats and is not recommended for prolonged use. Does it? That's why i also wanna get a Flex, but the full sized one.

@Jordan - On horizontal panels, yes you will not have any problems, and it will work for you. But on vertical panels, which make up at least 70% of your paint, you will have to lift it while controlling it. It's not actually difficult, but that's where a lighter machine shines. :)

cobalt9123
07-14-2010, 10:57 PM
@Jordan - On horizontal panels, yes you will not have any problems, and it will work for you. But on vertical panels, which make up at least 70% of your paint, you will have to lift it while controlling it. It's not actually difficult, but that's where a lighter machine shines. :)

Interesting take...I, too, have been looking at the full sized Flex. ESPECIALLY since it's on sale right now for just $169.99!

rohnramirez
07-15-2010, 02:18 AM
Stop thinking, and start ordering so you can start polishing sooner. :)

Adam
07-15-2010, 04:50 AM
I too use the makita 9227CB. I was a bit concerned about the weight as well especially when the machine I was comparing to was a couple of pounds lighter. But I think the little extra weight actually works in its favour. It is actually weighted quite well. I'm only small fellow but have no troubles with it. I thought the Flex was a DA? anyway if I hadn't purchased the Makita I would have purchased a Festool Shinex. The Makita was almost half the price so that sealed the deal for me.