PDA

View Full Version : best way to clean upholstery

Pages : [1] 2

Bullitt AK
07-12-2010, 11:12 PM
im not talking about just spot stains here and there...what about just completely filthy fabric seats? i use my steamer and it usually works ok with the stain remover that i use but i am just curious of any faster or more efficient ways to clean upholstery? thanks

Silv03
07-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Heated extractor and APC+ would work great for that!

Bullitt AK
07-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Heated extractor and APC+ would work great for that!

you dont think that the water would get the seats wet inside?

Silv03
07-12-2010, 11:43 PM
The good thing when using a extractor is that the water is extracted quickly leaving the fabric some what wet but not to the point that its drenched in water. I personally never had a problem with overly wet seats, the key is to let the seats dry thoroughly. I usually leave all doors open in direct sunlight when through in socali whether it gets pretty hot were i live so the drying process is quick!

oldmodman
07-12-2010, 11:44 PM
you dont think that the water would get the seats wet inside?

Yes it does.

I did a reeking, stinky, tobacco filled Toyota with cloth seats. The driver was a two pack a day smoker.

I used an upright Bissell heated carpet cleaner with whatever carpet and upholstery cleaner I had. It took three complete soap, hot water, extract cycles to get the last of the brown goo out of the seats. And I let them dry (along with the carpets and head liner) for three days in the hot summer sun. They looked and smelled like new. After they were completely dry I used Scotchgard on them. Three years later all they need is an occasional wipe with APC and they are like new again.

Bullitt AK
07-12-2010, 11:45 PM
what APC and what do you usually dillute at?

Silv03
07-12-2010, 11:47 PM
what APC and what do you usually dillute at?

Megs APC + 4:1 on ruff interiors or 10:1 on light interiors.

Bullitt AK
07-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I used an upright Bissell heated carpet cleaner with whatever carpet and upholstery cleaner I had. It took three complete soap, hot water, extract cycles to get the last of the brown goo out of the seats. And I let them dry (along with the carpets and head liner) for three days in the hot summer sun. They looked and smelled like new. After they were completely dry I used Scotchgard on them. Three years later all they need is an occasional wipe with APC and they are like new again.

three days? thats ridiculous...why dont you use an air mover?...and a mytee hot water extractor or other comparable brands should have much better lift than whichever bissel machine you used for faster drying...i just wanted to make sure it wouldnt create any mildew or mold smell

Grizzly
07-12-2010, 11:49 PM
What if you are only working by hand?

How well does a brush and APC work?

What would you use to get the cleaning solution out and how would you dry it?

Silv03
07-12-2010, 11:49 PM
I use Mytee II works wonders!!

Bullitt AK
07-12-2010, 11:52 PM
I use Mytee II works wonders!!

yeah i dont have an extractor yet but im gonna get the 'aztec hot rod'..seems like it would help dry pretty quick at 102" of lift ...its also the only thing i could fit in my mustang

Silv03
07-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Yeah there awsome to have especially when you get nasty interiors!!

Larry A
07-13-2010, 09:58 AM
I just use a ammonia and water solution- 1 cup of ammonia to 1 gallon of water, and just wipe the cloth seats down. No chance of soaking the seats, no extractor needed. For spot cleaning I use spray foam ie Tuff Stuff. On bad spots I use Folex.

Showroom Shine
07-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I have found that filthy cloth is done alot faster and effectively with a good cleaner,like DWG APC, or DP Interior Cleaner,and a steamer. I have the Aztec Hot Rod Extractor that I use after the steamer. Seats look new and smell like they just left the dry cleaners!

Pyrocite
07-13-2010, 10:38 AM
How about a vapor steam cleaner? Should dry within few hours.