PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs some help

Ty07allstar
07-12-2010, 09:30 PM
I just purchased Klasse AIO and SG and am wondering what I should apply to my paint before hand to get rid of swirls and oxidation. My car is 7 years old but ever since I purchased it 2 years ago, it has been kept in pristine condition. The swirls are very minor and I was thinking about using some Poorboys SSR 1 or 2, not sure, to remove the swirls. I will also be purchasing a PC 7424 to apply the swirl remover and the AIO. What do you guys think I should do?

fancyfootwork
07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Poorboys is a good option. Megs #105 with an orange pad followed by #205 on a white pad. Their are LOTS of options. Any pictures of your cars paint? closeups?

Mike Phillips
07-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Since this is your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

What are you working on?

If the swirls are light then just about any light swirl mark remover should work, the most important thing is to do a Test Spot first and dial in a process that works to make one small area look great and then duplicate this process over the rest of the car.

5.5" pads rotate best on DA Polishers for correction work so be sure to get a few light cutting pads and polishing pads.

When it comes to SG, I always recommend to people that have never used it before to apply it to just about a one foot squared area and then remove it and dial-in your technique based upon this test section.

:)

Ty07allstar
07-13-2010, 08:32 AM
It's raining out right now but I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. What would you guys recommend me to do to remove the old wax currently on the car? I'm going to clay the car before I use a swirl remover, would that work? I also know that if you use Dawn to wash the car that will get rid of all the wax?

Ty07allstar
07-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Here are some pictures:

This is the hood. If you look in the bottom right you can see some oxidation. I know with a light polish it will all come out.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/ty07allstar/DSC00041.jpg

This is the trunk. It has some oxidation on it, this is just one of them. I have tried rubbing compound which helped but did not get rid of them completely. They are only visible from certain angle. It either looks real bad or nonexistent. You can see the swirls from the compound. The swirl remover will clean them right up.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/ty07allstar/DSC00039.jpg

Here are two more of the trunk showing the swirls.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/ty07allstar/DSC00037.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/ty07allstar/DSC00035.jpg

steed76
07-13-2010, 11:33 AM
I made the same purchase as yourself, however my loving wife bought me the 7424xp last x-mas. I used Megs 205 with an Orange CCS pad, followed by the AIO and the SG, with a layer of Soverign on top... beautiful. Mind you my vehicle is a DD and sits outside alot! I still had a few deep rids, all other blemishes were gone. I was uber satisfied at the results!

Ty07allstar
07-13-2010, 01:20 PM
I made the same purchase as yourself, however my loving wife bought me the 7424xp last x-mas. I used Megs 205 with an Orange CCS pad, followed by the AIO and the SG, with a layer of Soverign on top... beautiful. Mind you my vehicle is a DD and sits outside alot! I still had a few deep rids, all other blemishes were gone. I was uber satisfied at the results!

What pad did you use for the AIO and SG? This car is my daily driver so it will be outside all day every day :(. I saw that Griot's has their 3" DA and was thinking of maybe getting that so I would be able to get all my paint and not have to use my hand for any of it. What do you guys think?

Ty07allstar
07-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Nobody?

steed76
07-14-2010, 12:49 PM
sry allstar, i been at work all day and my net time is limited.. I used the orange CCS pad with the xp at speed 6. Then used the AIO and a gray pad at speed 4, applied the sealant by hand... too wasteful and heavy to use with the PC. I couldn't lay it down thin enough, and it was real hard to take off.. so the second vehicle i applied it by hand. That worked ALOT better for me.. as i could control it better. Then i layered a coat of soverign paste on top also applied by hand.. it seemed less wasteful to apply it by hand. After the soverign was applied on the first vehicle with the PC i was cleaning my pads and the amount of wax that was wasted was astounding!!!! So i decided that hand application was the trick to saving wax. Hope this helps you.. lmk if you have anymore questions.:props:

All my pads are of the 5.5 size... they seem to work well there.. more correction.

Ty07allstar
07-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Are there any other combinations besides Megs 105/205 that are just as cheap but not as aggressive. I feel that the 105 may be too aggressive but if I use just the 205 I don't think it will be enough?