PDA

View Full Version : General newb question on the PC

Suprchargd
11-10-2006, 02:28 AM
I just spent quite a bit of money at the AG store recently and so far all the products have exceeded my expectations (EX-P is awesome). Now I'm looking to get a PC to tackle the swirls, but I'm not sure whether to go with the XMT 1-3 or Optimum lineup, and what pads to go with either choice? I know a lot of it is a matter of opinion, but I'd still like to hear what everyone has to say.

I know people say the Poorboys lineup tends to dust up more than the XMT or Optimum polishes, but what exactly does that mean? Why is the dust bad? Can't you just wipe it away or blow it off?

Also, what are the benefits/disadvantages to a 5" backing plate over a 6" and the other way around?

Should I take special cautionary steps with repainted panels (no idea how many coats of clear he used, just know that he matched it up with the factory color well, but he did leave overspray on some parts :mad::mad:)?

Any and all help is appreciated..

supercharged
11-10-2006, 02:38 AM
I would go with XMT polishes line, it dusts slightly less. As far as pads - Edge Pads are getting great reviews. I'm still Lake country pads user.

sparkie
11-10-2006, 02:53 AM
:iagree: with supercharged, Megs, LC are very good pads. I'm using Edge2k pads now. In money terms edge pads is like getting 2 pads in one. Push, pull, flip.

ScottB
11-10-2006, 07:21 AM
I dont mind dust ... because I rewash after polishing on almost every occasion. That way any oil or fillers are removed and I can tell if I need to repolish.

XterraOverload
11-10-2006, 07:35 AM
If it were me I'd go with the XMT line up. Personaly Id go with...some XMT 1,2,and 3 and also grab the pad care preducts from XMT .........are very good!!
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1922_64594670http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1920_73124708

Meghan
11-10-2006, 07:52 AM
I personally like the 5" backing plate with 6.5" LC pads. Gives you a little more room to work in tight areas (so your backing plate isnt at the edge of your pads) Just my personal perference. I would go with XMT, hard to find anyone that would have something bad to say about this line, it just is amazing.

Sevenrd
11-10-2006, 09:13 PM
I'll chime in for Optimum Polish (new formula). Incredibly long working times and no dust. I've used the SSR series, Meg's 80 series, Menzerna IP, FPII...Optimum is my all-around favorite among them.

I haven't tried the XMT series, so can only say all I've heard are positives about the line.