PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to strip current LSP before any reapplication?

tahoesallaround
07-12-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm new to detailing, I've been a member of the AGO for a few months, however, this is the first question I have posted. I have clayed and corrected the paint on my Tahoe and applied WGDGS and PLS. Living in Dallas, the elements have reduced the level of gloss and beading after 1 month and I'd like apply another layer of LSP. I have felt the paint and it doesn't appear to need further claying or polishing. Do I need to use a paint cleaner (WGPPE is what I have on hand), mineral spirits, or an alcohol wipe to strip the LSP and prep the paint? Or is 1 month too short and just apply another layer? Thanks in advance for any advise.

snowking724
07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
i would give a spray wax a shot. i recommend 1z or duragloss but you seem to be sticking with wolfgang/pinnacle so try the spritz sealant or ls spray wax.

BobbyG
07-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I really like Optimum Car Wax, give it a try and you won't be disappointed! :props:

feslope
07-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm new to detailing, I've been a member of the AGO for a few months, however, this is the first question I have posted. I have clayed and corrected the paint on my Tahoe and applied WGDGS and PLS. Living in Dallas, the elements have reduced the level of gloss and beading after 1 month and I'd like apply another layer of LSP. I have felt the paint and it doesn't appear to need further claying or polishing. Do I need to use a paint cleaner (WGPPE is what I have on hand), mineral spirits, or an alcohol wipe to strip the LSP and prep the paint? Or is 1 month too short and just apply another layer? Thanks in advance for any advise.Your Texas sun can be ppretty hard on the LSP. If your finish is smooth and does not contain embedded contaminants you can re-apply a new layer of lsp right over the existing one. You may need a few applicators as they may get dirty cleaning the existing layer.

tahoesallaround
07-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. This summer has been very hot, followed by 2 weeks of rain; pretty much removing my lsp. It's good to know that if the paint is still clean (contaminant free) I can reapply my lsp if needed.

I have heard good things about Optimum, I'll have to give that a try.