PDA

View Full Version : Problems with pads melting

carly2380
07-11-2010, 08:26 AM
what am i doing wrong?

i have a PC 7424XP with a 5" H/L backing plate. after detailing 2 cars with the 6.5" Lake Country Yellow,Orange or Green foam CCS cutting pads, the pads will separate the Hook/Loop fabric from the pad. after a couple of minutes with a setting of 4 i will up the setting to 6. i have noticed that the pad will get warm or hot only at the H/L fabric. not sure why.

i have tried this with some pressure applied and then with very little pressure and the results are the same.

any suggestions would be appreciated.... i have to purchase some additional pads but wont until i understand what i'm doing wrong if anything.

cobalt9123
07-11-2010, 08:39 AM
If you're talking about the pad being hot, then it is going to be hot no matter what. It's friction. If you're saying that your pad is actually melting, try shrinking your work area down. Working it for a "few minutes" seems like a while to me...

carly2380
07-11-2010, 08:50 AM
thanks for the reply, i'll try that.. maybe i am working to big of an area, along with to much pressure? thanks.

kvnkst
07-11-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm having the same problem. I hope there isn't a defect in the pads. My orange separated after only hood and roof!

cobalt9123
07-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Which pads are you guys using?

Flash Gordon
07-11-2010, 09:31 AM
LC pads have been seperating like crazy as of late. I saw a thread where "The Pad Man" said they have had a problem with the adhesive they were using. I'm sure someone tried to get cheap and it backfired big time. From what I understand they have this problem under control now. Get in contact with the retail outlet you made your purchase from and more then likely they will send you new pads :buffing:

kvnkst
07-11-2010, 09:34 AM

LC pads

loudog2
07-11-2010, 10:52 AM
The BP might be too small for a 6.5 inch pad. If you put your whole hand over a piece of paper on spin it back and fourth. you move it fine. If you used just 3 fingers to spin it, it bunches and pulls in the middle. The 1.5 inch over hang of the pad, plus the violet motions of a DA, can tear a pad easily.

cobalt9123
07-11-2010, 12:03 PM
thanks for the reply, i'll try that.. maybe i am working to big of an area, along with to much pressure? thanks.

How big of an area are you working? Mine get pretty hot but never "melt". I use Lake Country Cyan/Tangerine for polishing with M105/205 (Hoping to replace with Optimum Sprays) and a gray LC Flat pad for finishing with P085RD.

Try cutting down the area..

carly2380
07-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Lake Country Yellow,Orange or Green foam CCS cutting pads
i purchased these from AutoGeek.com, they replaced the green LC CCS pad no questions asked, to their credit, however i continued to experience other LC pad failures but wasn't sure if i was doing something wrong before i complained again however if others are experiencing these same issues LC should be aware....

i am apprehensive about purchasing additional LC pads considering the issues that i have had, should i switch to a different MFG????

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
07-11-2010, 02:14 PM
I read the same post about a lot of people having problems with the pad actually seperating.

Here is the link: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wool-foam-buffing-pads/25083-bad-ccs-6-5-orange-pads.html

I'm sure whoever you bought them from would replace them no problem if you contacted them right away...if you have more of the same pads that you bought at the SAME time, you may want to consider replacing those too.

I bought LC 4" pads about 2 1/2 years ago and they're holding up fine...the edge of my yellow ones have a few pieces fray off on their first use...but no problems with the glue used to hold the backing to the pad.

They did say they had a problem for a while with the adhesive (read the thread i posted a link to above) but it is now fixed...so maybe just ask for the same type of pads...even LC ones...but make sure they have the new adhesive.

good luck!

Flash Gordon
07-11-2010, 03:06 PM
i purchased these from AutoGeek.com, they replaced the green LC CCS pad no questions asked, to their credit, however i continued to experience other LC pad failures but wasn't sure if i was doing something wrong before i complained again however if others are experiencing these same issues LC should be aware....

i am apprehensive about purchasing additional LC pads considering the issues that i have had, should i switch to a different MFG????

Uber/Buff-n-Shine makes a nice flat pad. I beleive they still use glue thats not imported from China also :props: