PDA

View Full Version : 5.5 or 6.5 inch pads with pc7424 xp

john b
07-10-2010, 10:18 PM
hi all i bought a xmt polish kit that had 6.5 inch pads with it and i bought my pc7424 xp kit from adams that had 6 inch backing plate and 6.5 inch pads so i have been usuing mainly those and alot of .6.5 lc pads and i keep reading people using 5.5 inch pads so am i wrong to keep useing the 6.5 pads or start over with 5.5 inch pads.- what am i missing here or will i be fine it seems to me the 6,5 last longer i recently sent in the smaller lc pads due there pads braking down after a couple of uses or just got some out of a bad patch need some input on this one-thanks

S2K
07-10-2010, 10:27 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/20620-5-6-backing-plates-6-5-pads-pictures-show-safety-margin.html

Hope that helps a little

ASPHALT ROCKET
07-10-2010, 10:29 PM
hi all i bought a xmt polish kit that had 6.5 inch pads with it and i bought my pc7424 xp kit from adams that had 6 inch backing plate and 6.5 inch pads so i have been usuing mainly those and alot of .6.5 lc pads and i keep reading people using 5.5 inch pads so am i wrong to keep useing the 6.5 pads or start over with 5.5 inch pads.- what am i missing here or will i be fine it seems to me the 6,5 last longer i recently sent in the smaller lc pads due there pads braking down after a couple of uses or just got some out of a bad patch need some input on this one-thanks

O.k., you have a couple problems here that can be easily solved. The first is that you are using large pads with a da with an inadequate polishing system. Your second problem, your 5.5 braking down, your cause is that you are using excessive pressure on the tool and causing heat which in turn is tearing up your pads.

Your solution is to use the 5.5 pads but with a better polish. The best polish to use with the da is the Megs twins. They cut a lot better and this in turn will cause you to use less pressure and tear up your pads. So in the end the pads are not the problem. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will steer you in the correct direction.