PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Trim on a new car Question

bluegoose
07-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

I see a lot of posts regarding which product to use to restore the black plastic trim and was wondering if you maintain it from the start with 303 or other protectants will it even fade at all? Just seems like everyone is always talking about getting the trim back to black but what if you regularly protect it right from the start? Thanks in advance for any replies. Cheers. //bluegoose//

Jenn1270
07-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Megs ultimate protectant is a good start after it is restored with something like PoorBoys Trim Restorer.

Welcome,

Jenn

ObsessiveAutoDetail
07-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

I see a lot of posts regarding which product to use to restore the black plastic trim and was wondering if you maintain it from the start with 303 or other protectants will it even fade at all? Just seems like everyone is always talking about getting the trim back to black but what if you regularly protect it right from the start? Thanks in advance for any replies. Cheers. //bluegoose//

I have had a couple of new vehicles, and from the very beginning I used Detailer's Pride Gloss Tire Gel on all the actual rubber trim pieces. Both are Chevy Trucks and they have rubber window trim and window belts. My wife's truck is over three years old, mine is almost two. The rubber trim looks better than it did in the the show room. They never see a garage and survive Michigan winters & summers. All other trim, including my tonneau cover, I have used 303. Again, better than new. Hope this helps.

AeroCleanse
07-10-2010, 04:31 PM
I use 1z Vinyl-Rubber Care on my trim and its lasts a good long time.

akimel
07-10-2010, 05:25 PM
For a new car, I'd go with Ultima Tire and Trim Guard. It's a sealant and provides durable protection (I'm talking 2-4 months). It's expensive but well worth the price--a little goes a long way.

Old Tiger
07-10-2010, 11:11 PM
For a new car, I'd go with Ultima Tire and Trim Guard. It's a sealant and provides durable protection (I'm talking 2-4 months). It's expensive but well worth the price--a little goes a long way.
Good product and better advice.

BobbyG
07-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Megs ultimate protectant is a good start after it is restored with something like PoorBoys Trim Restorer.

Welcome,

Jenn

Jenn is right on here. My top choices for exterior trim and plastics is Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant and Poorboy's World Trim Restorer.

Several times I've tried Aerospace 303 and I have to be honest I personally didn't like it on any of my exterior plastics. It's a white liquid and runs easily and I found myself having to follow up wiping several times. For interior is seems OK but not for exterior in "my" opinion, I'm sure others may disagree but this is my experience.

bluegoose
07-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Thanks everyone. Great advise here. Cheers. //bluegoose//

ScottB
07-11-2010, 09:54 AM
I am using Griots Weatherproof dressing with nice results, plan on trying Ultima after that for comparision.

christian900se
07-11-2010, 10:15 AM
I would put a vote in for Poorboy's Trim Restorer even if the car is new. It has very good durability on the exterior trim and will keep your trim protected from any contaminants or UV that eventually lead to plastic/vinyl/rubber trim fading and drying out.

bluegoose
08-30-2010, 09:43 AM
I have had a couple of new vehicles, and from the very beginning I used Detailer's Pride Gloss Tire Gel on all the actual rubber trim pieces. Both are Chevy Trucks and they have rubber window trim and window belts. My wife's truck is over three years old, mine is almost two. The rubber trim looks better than it did in the the show room. They never see a garage and survive Michigan winters & summers. All other trim, including my tonneau cover, I have used 303. Again, better than new. Hope this helps.

Just wanted to give a follow-up for completeness. I recently got DP Gloss Tire Gel on BOGO :) and used it as you suggested on rubber trim and it works great! Thanks again for the tip. Cheers. //bluegoose//