PDA

View Full Version : qd or rinseless carwash for clay lube

john b
07-10-2010, 03:35 AM
hi all was looking for some ideas for a clay lubricant without breaking the bank- when i was useing adams stuff i used there qd as a clay bar lubricant but at 35 a gallon i thought i was going to have to get a part time job-i have read recently of folks useing the rinseless car wash and making clay lube - so i am asking for your experience on this one i ahve thought about useing the finish care 425 but realy looking for something cheaper,and if i did use the rinseless would it be slick enough depending how i mixed itFeed back please

snowking724
07-10-2010, 05:18 AM
I use dp rinseless mixed at 1-1 1/2 oz per 32 oz water and it works real good.

BobbyG
07-10-2010, 05:24 AM
To clay an automotive finish requires 2 components; clay and a lubricant and the lubricant doesn't have to be exotic or expensive.

Mix an ounce of your favorite car wash with 32 ounces of clean water, pour into your spray bottle and your ready to begin..............it's that easy and inexpensive.

trhland
07-10-2010, 06:37 AM
To clay an automotive finish requires 2 components; clay and a lubricant and the lubricant doesn't have to be exotic or expensive.

Mix an ounce of your favorite car wash with 32 ounces of clean water, pour into your spray bottle and your ready to begin..............it's that easy and inexpensive.

nice tip... and cost affective:xyxthumbs:

HighEndDetail
07-10-2010, 07:40 AM

I have been doing that for years. And a few times my mix 0f DP 4-n-1 and that always worked great.

Jenn1270
07-10-2010, 10:22 AM
I personally like Rinseless Wash and Gloss diluted 2 ounces in 32 ounces of water. Not only does it do a great job it also smells GREAT

CEE DOG
07-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Optimum No Rinse

john b
07-10-2010, 12:30 PM
sounds good my friends thanks for the input

Indy YZF
07-10-2010, 12:47 PM
I use Megs Last Touch diluted 1:1 with water. Works great and is also cheap.

Old Tiger
07-10-2010, 11:29 PM
I use Megs Last Touch diluted 1:1 with water. Works great and is also cheap.
I got a gallon of Last Touch for less than $11. I wont dilute it at that price! The Megs sale was amazing!!

Al1515
07-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Optimum No Rinse

:whs:

Just started using ONR for this. Works well. Follow instructions on the bottle. Makes for a REALLY inexpensive clay lube.

Fly bye
07-11-2010, 04:35 AM
There have been reports that some automotive detailing clay has crumbled. This crumbling has been exuberated with the use of detergents, or car wash shampoo/soap. I personally never experienced crumbling, probably because the clay I use was manufactured by John Kucala before the final judgement.

The only lube I have ever used is car wash soap, and Dawn a few times, and have never had clay deteriorate. I still have some of the good yellow clay that was made by Kucala that is no longer available in the states due to the bogus patent by Autowax.

Autowax owns the patent on any product called detailing clay, used for cleaning automotive paint finishes etc. This means that only Autowax, by law, is allowed to manufacture detailing clay in the United States. It also means that all clay manufactured in the US, comes from the same factory, although some clay may come from Japan under the same patent owned by Autowax.

Autowax manufactures clay for giants in the car care industry, such as Meguiars, Mothers, Pinnacle, Sonus ect. Autowax may manufacture detailing clay to it's customers specifications, therefore, even though it comes from the same factory, it is not necessarily the same.

Formulations can vary significantly, mainly density or plasticity, abrasive particulate size, abrasive used (i.e. silica sand, calcium carbonate, alumina, ceramics, or silicon carbide) abrasive density ratio, (abrasive content to clay) color (to identify differing abrasive strengths).

A lot of people have claimed that the elastic clay (Erazer clay/Kucala clay/KEL/Yellow clay) is far superior to clay that is manufactured from Autowax, and I would definately agree.

:buffing: