PDA

View Full Version : Chroming wheels

Wolf-Strong
07-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Alright, so made a few phone calls getting pricing and quickly realized that traditional chroming here in CA is amazingly expensive (~$200/wheel), and places that do it are few and far in-between. My question is for those down here in SoCal; I happened to watch a video from Jay Leno's Garage a while ago about spray on chroming, which would be just fine for me. Supposedly much cheaper, and just as reliable. Does anyone know any places that do this? I've tried doing some searches and have come up empty handed.

So yeah, can any recommend a place that can do this alternative form of chroming down here in SoCal? (mainly to keep costs down)

Finemess
07-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Never heard of this. Looks pretty cool.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0affP9_9M]YouTube - Fiberglass grill in Spray Chrome - Dallas, TX[/video]

Phinox
07-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Hi another option you can look into is Powder coating. Powder coating is cheaper then chroming and more durable.

Wolf-Strong
07-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Hi another option you can look into is Powder coating. Powder coating is cheaper then chroming and more durable.

Is a mirror like finish possible with powder coating though?Well where I am at is I have a set of factory BMW wheels that have a bare aluminum lip. I know this for sure because I stripped the coating off in the attempt to polish it, but quickly realized just how much work this would entitle not only to get to a good shine, but to maintain. I then decided chroming would achieve the results I am looking for, but then that went out the door when I realized how expensive it is here in CA. So now, I am looking at other options that will produce the same result. Now obviously I am willing to put in some work to maintain the finish, so durability isn't TOO big of an issue if we are talking against neglect as my wheels almost never get too dirty. The main problem here is simply cost and being easier to maintain then polished aluminum.

FYI: These are what the wheels look like right now, all torn apart:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/wolfstrong/bmw/DSCF0372.jpg

And this is what I aim to achieve, though the center piece will be a darker, graphite color:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/wolfstrong/bmw/69p.jpg

Phinox
07-10-2010, 01:18 AM
You can achieve a mirror finish with powder coat. I Have seen rims i thought where chromed but it was powder coat.

Wolf-Strong
07-10-2010, 01:39 AM
You can achieve a mirror finish with powder coat. I Have seen rims i thought where chromed but it was powder coat.

Sounds good to me, so anyone know of any places down here in SoCal?

Phinox
07-10-2010, 01:55 AM
type in so cal powder coating into Google. Gave me a bunch of powder coaters in So Cal

Wolf-Strong
07-10-2010, 02:02 AM
type in so cal powder coating into Google. Gave me a bunch of powder coaters in So Cal

Already emailed all of them I saw like 10 min ago when you mentioned that lol! Just wondering if anyone has any shop they would recommend. Always like giving business through recommendations :props:

ScottB
07-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I believe the solutions and technology for chroming has become so harmful that new technologies are being designed as the original process is being discontinued.

cnfowler
07-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Chrome plating isn't just expensive in SoCal, its expensive everywhere. I guess you aren't aware of the process start to finish. You'd be surprised they aren't charging triple what they do.

Colin

Apokiliptik1
07-10-2010, 10:09 PM
its expensive because of all the regulations now from the epa. very hazardous to the environment. won't be long til you can't finder a chroming company

Old Tiger
07-10-2010, 10:41 PM
I did an OEM exchange for my XLR. I had a great experience with OEM Rims on e-Bay. They are in Anaheim. They exchanged my rims for chrome for $625 plus shipping. I think they said they would do my rims for $500. That is a good price for 4 rims IMO. My rims are perfect. Highly recommend!

Wolf-Strong
07-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I did an OEM exchange for my XLR. I had a great experience with OEM Rims on e-Bay. They are in Anaheim. They exchanged my rims for chrome for $625 plus shipping. I think they said they would do my rims for $500. That is a good price for 4 rims IMO. My rims are perfect. Highly recommend!

Still too expensive for my taste. Gotta wait till Monday (all the businesses are closed weekends), but I am probably going to pursue the powder coating and still spray on chrome. Honestly, I am looking into the $200-300 dollar range, maybe $400 if all hell breaks loose. I know it sounds like I am cheaping out, but honestly, I just need the outside rim done, and it is all prepped. Any more and I am better off just buying a powder coating kit and doing it myself.

Old Tiger
07-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Hope it works out for you.