PDA

View Full Version : Nissan/Infinity Self Healing clear

tuscarora dave
07-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I recieved a call from a regular client this morning, he told me the sad news that he rolled his car yesterday. The good news is that he is just a bit bruised but otherwise ok. He is going to purchase a brand new Nissan Altima today. He questioned me about the paint protection plan that the dealerships offer for $500 and I gave him the skinny on that scam.

I also told him what I know about self healing clear as per what I have read on the forums about it. Do any of you guys and gals know if this self healing clear is on all new Nissan vehicles or just the Infinity or perhaps on the most expensive models only? He intends to buy off the lot so I told him to ask about it and to try and avoid it if it's just an added option. So is it an option or is it coming standard on all Nissan Models? My next stop is going to be Google but I wanted to get the detailers knowlege as well.

Additional questions would be, (for those who have polished self healing paint) How do you handle this paint? What polishers, what products, what process do you use? Does clay work the same on self healing paint? Is a wax or a sealant best on self healing paint?

Thanks for any offered knowlege, TD

ryandamartini
07-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I recieved a call from a regular client this morning, he told me the sad news that he rolled his car yesterday. The good news is that he is just a bit bruised but otherwise ok. He is going to purchase a brand new Nissan Altima today. He questioned me about the paint protection plan that the dealerships offer for $500 and I gave him the skinny on that scam.

I also told him what I know about self healing clear as per what I have read on the forums about it. Do any of you guys and gals know if this self healing clear is on all new Nissan vehicles or just the Infinity or perhaps on the most expensive models only? He intends to buy off the lot so I told him to ask about it and to try and avoid it if it's just an added option. So is it an option or is it coming standard on all Nissan Models? My next stop is going to be Google but I wanted to get the detailers knowlege as well.

Additional questions would be, (for those who have polished self healing paint) How do you handle this paint? What polishers, what products, what process do you use? Does clay work the same on self healing paint? Is a wax or a sealant best on self healing paint?

Thanks for any offered knowlege, TD

I have only encountered it on the G-series personally. As for what to do to correct it, the rotary was no go. The paint was almost sticky and did not respond well to the heating of the rotary due to the "self-healing" characteristics. I had to go with my DA polisher. I clayed and sealed it like normal. :props:

gibbsj87
07-09-2010, 10:11 AM
I have only encountered it on the G-series personally. As for what to do to correct it, the rotary was no go. The paint was almost sticky and did not respond well to the heating of the rotary due to the "self-healing" characteristics. I had to go with my DA polisher. I clayed and sealed it like normal. :props:

As far as I know, the Nissan line does not use the paint, only the Infinity's.

Southern Stang
07-09-2010, 10:26 AM
If I'm not mistaken the GTR has healing paint. Not positive but maybe others can chime in here.

tuscarora dave
07-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the replies!:props:

gibbsj87
07-09-2010, 11:49 AM
The GTR does have it.

Mike Phillips
07-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I've read that Infiniti has discontinued this paint system, I think this was on the Infiniti website. If this is true, this is a pretty good indicator as to whether it was a good idea or a bad idea.

Personally I wouldn't want a car with self-healing paint, it would be my last choice for a paint system.

A new member joined recently after the dealership swirled out her car...

I posted a couple replies with some information and links with info...

Swirls on '08 Infiniti G37s - Self-Healing Paint ? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/26609-swirls-08-infiniti-g37s-self-healing-paint.html)

:)

tuscarora dave
07-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info Mike!;) I am glad to hear that it has been discontinued! :dblthumb2:

Jeff120
07-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I just bought a new Altima, no self healing clear on it. I dont recall reading anything about any of Nissian's new line having it. Maxima didnt have it either.

I seem to recall this was a 1 year deal that really didnt work as planned as the temperate for it to self heal was pretty high. Some folks in cooler climates didnt see the benefits.

AeroCleanse
07-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I think the only Nissan with self healing paint is the GTR, but I could be wrong.