PDA

View Full Version : Interior UV Protectant Comparison

Pages : [1] 2

Jenn1270
07-08-2010, 06:51 PM
So Corey (Cee Dog) just did a comparison of UIGP and 303. I had some DP interior protectant arrive today and thought I might compare the three favorites DP interior protectant, 303 protectant, and Optimum Leather Protectant (although the name says leather it is for all interior materials.

First of all I cleaned the dash area of the car with DP interior cleaner to make sure any previous 303 was removed.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/original.jpg

I then taped off and labeled the areas to be tested

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/original_taped.jpg

I then sprayed a separate microfiber pad with each protectant and wiped them down and after a few minutes buffed with a clean microfiber.

Here are the afters both taped and untaped

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Entire_Group.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/all_tape_removed.jpg

So comparing the three, 303 seems to have the most gloss, DP comes in second, and for those that love a matte finish the optimum is the way to go. BTW the smell of the DP and the Optimum are fabulous.

Hope this helps with choosing a dash protectant. I am leaving it as is and will see what it looks like next week and report back.

Jenn

Old Tiger
07-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks Jen! I like OPP more than 303 as IME it is more matte and less noticable. I got a bottle of DP to try and didnt know it was the tweener. I will try it soon.

Reddwarf
07-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Good comparison! I might have to give the Optimum a try. Would be awesome if you used Poorboy World's Natural Look in this test.

Jenn1270
07-08-2010, 08:26 PM
I have a sample of it. I may repeat with the DP since that seems to be in the middle.

Jenn

CEE DOG
07-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks so much for the comparison Jenn! No doubt this will be very helpful to everybody. The Optimum is more matte then I expected it to be. I look forward to your update.

tephra
07-09-2010, 05:30 AM
good job...

although by the title i was expecting a UV-off, ie UV protection test :) hehe

Bunky
07-09-2010, 05:41 AM
I had used a sample of the Optimum and there is only so much leather smell I can take. The DP has a very nice banana(?) smell that does not last for that long.

I use PB's Leather Stuff on leather and that has its own leather scent.

trhland
07-09-2010, 05:55 AM
very nice test there...

CEE DOG
07-09-2010, 09:21 AM
I had used a sample of the Optimum and there is only so much leather smell I can take. The DP has a very nice banana(?) smell that does not last for that long.

I use PB's Leather Stuff on leather and that has its own leather scent.

I really LOVE some of that DP scent! I don't have the DP protectant but just love the smell of the interior cleaner. One of my favorites

good job...

although by the title i was expecting a UV-off, ie UV protection test :) hehe

I just mentioned to Richy yesterday I'm planning to do something like that. Unfortunately it'll be 6 months to a year till its done probably... Unless things fade faster then expected

Jenn1270
07-09-2010, 02:36 PM
I really LOVE some of that DP scent! I don't have the DP protectant but just love the smell of the interior cleaner. One of my favorites

I just mentioned to Richy yesterday I'm planning to do something like that. Unfortunately it'll be 6 months to a year till its done probably... Unless things fade faster then expected

I might see if I can find some old plastic and do the experiment. Clean, tape off, and let sit out in the back yard for a while and see what does the best. Shouldn't be that hard. I guess finding a big piece of plastic might be my biggest hurdle.

Jen

Bunky
07-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Wait 6 months? Try layering protectants!Im the MAN

I was thinking about going down to a fabric store to get some vinyl fabric as test material.

CEE DOG
07-09-2010, 03:42 PM
I might see if I can find some old plastic and do the experiment. Clean, tape off, and let sit out in the back yard for a while and see what does the best. Shouldn't be that hard. I guess finding a big piece of plastic might be my biggest hurdle.

Jen

That would be cool. Between the 2 of us we would have UIGP, 303AP, Optimum, and DP covered.

jahoo
07-09-2010, 05:00 PM
um, did the camera flash when you took the picture? any directed light source will spot/highlight where it hits. please disable the flash for the next trials.
ambient daytime light is preferable.

Jenn1270
07-09-2010, 05:05 PM
um, did the camera flash when you took the picture? any directed light source will spot/highlight where it hits. please disable the flash for the next trials.
ambient daytime light is preferable.

I will do that next time. Unfortunately it is raining here and I don't necessarily want to get out in it to take pictures.

Jenn

Silverstone
07-12-2010, 07:59 PM
I always use 303 because I was told that they all use the same main ingredient and that 303 has the highest concentration of it.
Of course this was two years ago and so many new products come out all the time so who knows how things are today.