PDA

View Full Version : Dots Inside / On Car Windows

eversio
07-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Hello, I'm trying to get some information on car windows and those dot patterns that you can see in certain light. To be frank, what the heck is it? On my car, I've only seen them on my side windows but I've seen Bimmers and VWs with the entire rear glass having very visible dot patterns. Is it some kind of invisible tint or reinforcement? Do all windows have it to some degree? Also, how can I reduce the visibility of it, because nothing ruins nice, streak free glass more than that pattern.

Sorry for all the questions, I tried a Google search but only came up with information about "dot matrix tint".

DonMTV
07-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Wearing polarized sunglasses when you see them?

eversio
07-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Wearing polarized sunglasses when you see them?
That's very likely, and I forgot how those sunglasses can affect glass, but I seem to think I've seen the pattern without them on, too.

gibbsj87
07-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Even if you are using polarized sunglasses, what makes it alternate like a checkerboard?

AeroCleanse
07-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I heard the full on explanation once, but in summary its the process they use to make the glass so it shatters in a uniform pattern rather than having large shards of glass. Windscreens are often laminated with a plastic film, but other windows are not.

Dubbin1
07-08-2010, 06:12 PM
What you are seeing is tempered glass. It really stands out when wearing polarized glasses.

mchess1
07-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Tempered glass as Dwayne said. I can see a Mercedes purple window coming a mile away in my Costa's.

eversio
07-08-2010, 06:41 PM
What you are seeing is tempered glass. It really stands out when wearing polarized glasses.
Thanks for providing the correct term, Dwayne :thankyousign:

Here are some informational links if anyone is interested in further reading:

HowStuffWorks "How does safety glass work?" (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/question508.htm)

Wikipedia Entry for Tempered Glass (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Tempered_glass)