PDA

View Full Version : Marks in clearcoat from clay bar

Blk Red
07-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I feel so stupid :doh:

I tried to clay bar the trunk lid of my C5 Corvette the other day and later when it was out in the sun I noticed several long scuff like marks in the clearcoat. I did flood the area with detailing spray before hand but obviously not enough. Maybe because this was a brand new clay bar?

Anyway it did seem to pull hard the first few times across and that is where these scuff marks are.

I have ordered the PC DA buffer and necessary swirl removers from AutoGeek. What should I do next? What is the best way to correct this problem. BTW it is a black car.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out!

Doug

Dubbin1
07-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Marring the paint with clay happens all the time and sometimes is expected. Since you already have a DA and polish on the way it sounds like you are on the right track. If you never used a DA before then check out this video http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/two-guy-s-garage-videos-tv-commercials/25500-two-guys-garage-video-how-use-porter-cable-polisher-remove-swirls.html

Shane731
07-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Sounds like there was either a problem with your technique or you have a soft clear, which is unlikely on a Corvette. The scuff marks could be clay residue where you didn't use enough lubricant and the clay dragged. Does it come off with some quick detailer? Which clay bar and clay lube were you using? Do you have any pictures? Check out these videos:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcZRj509Ir8]YouTube - How to use a clay bar on your car[/video]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfxMSLCDWYI]YouTube - Wolfgang How To Use a Clay Bar[/video]

Blk Red
07-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Sounds like there was either a problem with your technique or you have a soft clear, which is unlikely on a Corvette. The scuff marks could be clay residue where you didn't use enough lubricant and the clay dragged. Does it come off with some quick detailer? Which clay bar and clay lube were you using?

I was using Mothers California Gold clay and quick detailer. Like I said I think the clay did drag because it was not properly lubricated.

I hope the scuff marks are clay residue. I will try a detailing product on it tomorrow. If that doesn't work my Porter Cable should be here Friday and I can get at it this weekend.

Thanks for the tips.

Doug

FinalTouchAuto
07-08-2010, 09:25 AM
When you clay, be sure to also spray some of your lube directly onto the claybar surface before touching the paint. That helps reduce the change of running into a dry spot on the surface of the vehicle.

rwright
07-08-2010, 09:34 AM
In Mothers defense, I have used a lot of their clay and haven't had an issue with marring. Showtime Instant Detailer is extremely slick so if your clay was dragging then you didn't have enough. Is it possible to clay out of direct sun? As stated, I'm putting my money on clay/clay lube residue. You should be able to hit it with Showtime and a micro fiber towel and clean it up. Just my $.02

Mike Phillips
07-08-2010, 10:09 AM
my Porter Cable should be here Friday and I can get at it this weekend.

Thanks for the tips.

Doug

Hi Doug,

The Porter Cable 7424XP will fix the problem...

Which pads and products did you order with it?

:)

Blk Red
07-08-2010, 10:10 AM
When you clay, be sure to also spray some of your lube directly onto the claybar surface before touching the paint. That helps reduce the change of running into a dry spot on the surface of the vehicle.

That is the one step I didn't do. I should have known better as it was a brand new clay.

Oh well, as they say, live and learn. I am going to work on it this afternoon.

Doug

Blk Red
07-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi Doug,

The Porter Cable 7424XP will fix the problem...

Which pads and products did you order with it?

:)

I ordered the Show Car Kit I think with Pinnacle products.