PDA

View Full Version : Washing Machine Smells Like Wax!

ItsDubC
07-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post since it's kind of a weird issue. Anyway, on Sunday I cleaned my wheels w/ P21s gel and sealed them w/ KAIO & SG. The next morning, I decided to apply a layer of Collinite 845 to each to see how its durability would hold up in the harsh conditions that wheels are subjected to. I used an MF towel instead of an MF applicator since the towel was easier to get into the crevices of the wheel design. I typically hand-wash my applicators and machine wash my towels, so I tossed the MF towel into the washing machine yesterday and now my washing machine smells like Collinite 845!

I've since started up another rinse cycle and added about 1/4 cup of white vinegar to see if that would help, and the smell is still there. I then ran the washing machine empty w/ detergent I normally use for clothes (Tide) and some liquid fabric softener that has a nice smell to it. The smell still lingers a bit. Does anyone have any other ideas? Collinite 845 is amazing stuff but it absolutely reeks lol

:help:

Bert31
07-06-2010, 02:47 PM
I have heard of people using Dawn or APC along with detergent to really make sure they get their towels and applicators clean. Maybe they will help get the wax residue out of your wash machine. Just remember, if you use Dawn, DO NOT USE VERY MUCH. If you use too much your wash machine will foam over. You will also need a few more rinse cycles to get the stronger Dawn/APC out.

ScottB
07-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Why not run a quick empty load with just bleach. I know several manufacturers like Tide and Assure make tablets to clean washing machines too.

A4 1.8tqm
07-06-2010, 02:56 PM
I use APC+ for pre-soaking and in the washing machine on all the "misc use" MF towels, no probs. I bet it would help get rid of the smell. Then run a load of whites with bleach, surely 845 can't resist bleach...

loudog2
07-06-2010, 03:31 PM
I use Afresh tablets every 2 months in my front loader. They sell it at all appliance stores.

gibbsj87
07-06-2010, 05:05 PM
I let my stuff soak in warm water, then I usually just ring, rinse and dry!

ItsDubC
07-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the so far everyone! I ran two wash cycles w/ just bleach and the smell seems to be going away. I'm leaving the door open (it's a front-loader) for a while to see if airing it out helps. I actually have some Meg's APC on the way at the moment but I don't have any APC right now. I'll probably run that through when it gets here as well. I'll have to look into that Afresh stuff also!

Old Tiger
07-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the so far everyone! I ran two wash cycles w/ just bleach and the smell seems to be going away. I'm leaving the door open (it's a front-loader) for a while to see if airing it out helps. I actually have some Meg's APC on the way at the moment but I don't have any APC right now. I'll probably run that through when it gets here as well. I'll have to look into that Afresh stuff also!
If you are married we will pray for your well being! Good luck.

mchess1
07-06-2010, 08:50 PM
I can vouch for the Afresh product. Never had the wax funk, but it is great to run one through every 60 days or so to get the washer smelling good again.

ItsDubC
07-07-2010, 06:56 AM
If you are married we will pray for your well being! Good luck.

Funny you mention that. It's the washing machine at my gf's place, not mine :D Luckily, she hasn't felt the need to do laundry yet this week. She already feels like I spend too much time on my car as is, and making all of her clothes smell like Collinite would definitely put me in the dog house lol

So I left the washing machine door open for a few hrs last night and I'm happy to say that the smell is pretty much gone! Bleach FTW! Still gonna look into Affresh tho. Thanks again

:cheers:

BobbyG
07-07-2010, 07:36 AM
I tossed the MF towel into the washing machine yesterday and now my washing machine smells like Collinite 845!
:help:

One of the very reasons I don't throw mine in the washing machine. The last thing I need is for my wife to catch one whiff of wax or polish and I'll be buying a new machine! LOL :laughing:

I wash mine in a bucket using Pinnacles MF cleaner and hot water. I agitate it every now and then and let them all soak for a few hours then rinse clean and line dry. I have plenty of towels so I can afford to have some in the cleaning stage while I use the others. :xyxthumbs:

ItsDubC
07-07-2010, 08:27 AM
I soaked it in a mix of Dawn Power Dissolver and water before putting it in the washing machine, and a lot of the wax came out actually. I think the problem was that I didn't wring it out before throwing it in the washer :doh: Also, I didn't want to soak it too long because I've heard that powerful degreasers detract from the longevity of MFs.

01GreyStangGT
07-12-2010, 11:06 PM
845 smells like Raid.

BobbyG
07-13-2010, 06:33 AM
845 smells like Raid.

Collinite 845 ain't the nicest smelling wax but it does shine and protect...:laughing:

ItsDubC
07-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Collinite 845 ain't the nicest smelling wax but it does shine and protect...:laughing:

Agreed, it does so very well. That's why I put up w/ it :)