PDA

View Full Version : Help with 1st detail of new car

nhack
07-06-2010, 01:15 PM
I have been on this site a ton recently and dug for information about what to use to protect the paint on my new vehicle. It is a bright red Rav4. I just bought a ton of stuff for its care and the restoration of my wife's car. I need some info to make sure that I bought the right stuff to use on my new ride.

I know that after washing I need to clay (I bought Meg's Smooth Surface Clay Kit). After clay, my plan was to to put on the paint sealant and then put a layer of wax For the paint sealant, I bought Duragloss #601 and #105. The DG aquawax will be used to finish it off. Will this work? If not, what should I've gotten.....I had hoped to use for both cars.

With the car being new, I shouldn't need to use any compound or polish, right?

BTW, I also bought Meg's Ultimate Compound, ScratchX, and SwirlX to restore the wife's car. It is a 2006 Mazda6 that we bought two years ago and I don't believe it has ever had anything other than automatic car wash wax on it....which is going to change as soon as my order gets in. I also bought the G110 DA and I'm really looking forward to getting her car looking as good as mine.

Thanks for all the help in gathering this info on this site. It's really great

Let me know what you think regarding the products.......

Mike Phillips
07-06-2010, 01:58 PM
I

After clay, my plan was to to put on the paint sealant and then put a layer of wax For the paint sealant, I bought Duragloss #601 and #105.

The DG aquawax will be used to finish it off. Will this work? If not, what should I've gotten.....I had hoped to use for both cars.

With the car being new, I shouldn't need to use any compound or polish, right?

You have it right...

After claying, apply the 601 Polish Bonding Agent to the paint and the manufacture states to leave it on the paint.

Then apply the 105 Total Performance Polish to the entire car and allow it to dry to a haze and then remover.

The instructions for the 105 state to apply to a "clean, dry car", which some could read to mean nothing should be on the paint, but in the context of the idea that this manufacture understands that their products will be used together I think it's safe to say you could leave the 601 Bonding Agent on the surface as directed and then apply the 105 Total Performance Polish over it. The 105 will be removing the excess 601 in the process and when you wipe off the final application you should see a clear, high gloss, protected finish.

After this, if you like as an option you could do what's called topping and apply the 951 Duragloss Aquawax.

A normal practice would be to wait for a "Window of Time" for between 12 to 24 hours for the polymers in the previous product to "fully set-up".

Applying a product over this freshly applied coating before the polymers have fully set-up will act to disrupt or move them around, possibly removing some of them in the process.

Does that help?

:)

Mike Phillips
07-06-2010, 02:02 PM
BTW, I also bought Meg's Ultimate Compound, ScratchX, and SwirlX to restore the wife's car.

It is a 2006 Mazda6 that we bought two years ago and I don't believe it has ever had anything other than automatic car wash wax on it....which is going to change as soon as my order gets in.

I also bought the G110 DA and I'm really looking forward to getting her car looking as good as mine.

Simple Simon... just follow the tips and techniques shown in the vidoe and take a moment to read through the article as it is very in-depth and explains everything yoyu'll need to know about getting professional results your first time...

How To Remove Swirls, Scratches and Water Spots using a PC 7424XP, Meguiar's G110v2 or Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher

Using a DA Polisher - Part 1

- How to remove swirls, scratches and water spots using a Porter Cable DA Polisher

Using a DA Polisher - Part 2

- How to remove swirls, scratches and water spots using a Porter Cable DA Polisher

Using a DA Polisher - Part 3

Most Important...

Here's how to do a "Section Pass" when trying to remove swirls, scratches and other below surface paint defects.

How to do a Section Pass
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70g83mnTn4]YouTube - How to do a "Section Pass" with a Porter Cable 7424XP[/video]

Visit Autogeek's YouTube Channel for more YouTube Videos (http://www.youtube.com/autogeek)

The Definitive How-To Article for Removing Swirls, Scratches and Water Spots Using a Porter Cable 7424XP, G110v2 or Griot's Garage Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html)

:)

nhack
07-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get started working on cars.......