PDA

View Full Version : Removing paint defects from aluminum wheels?

mcpp66
07-06-2010, 08:55 AM
My car has painted aluminum wheels......clearcoated to be more specific. There are some swirls in this clearcoat and I was wondering if that can be safely corrected with a DA polisher? If so, would the techniques be the same as though I were doing a panel?

ScottB
07-06-2010, 09:03 AM
treat it just as you would paint ... no metal polish but paint polishes can be used.

1. Wash with safe wheel cleaner (Griots, P21S, Sonax)
2. Clay as desired
3. Polish with paint polishes (Mothers Powerballs help too)
4. Seal/Protect with DP or Poorboys Wheel Sealant

and remember to dress tires and wheelwells last !

mcpp66
07-06-2010, 09:09 AM
treat it just as you would paint ... no metal polish but paint polishes can be used.

1. Wash with safe wheel cleaner (Griots, P21S, Sonax)
2. Clay as desired
3. Polish with paint polishes (Mothers Powerballs help too)
4. Seal/Protect with DP or Poorboys Wheel Sealant

and remember to dress tires and wheelwells last !

I was just going to use the Lake Country pads that I have with either Megs UC, ScratchX 2.0, or SwirlX. Do you think that would be okay?

ScottB
07-06-2010, 10:04 AM
yep ... always start with least abrasive polish and pad and move more abrasive as needed. You can then come back with lighter polish and pad to really amp up gloss and reflection.

Mike Phillips
07-06-2010, 11:45 AM
For whatever it's worth, I've been told the clear paint used for wheels is different than the factory clear paint used at car manufacturing assembly plants... specifically it's harder. Obtained this from a pretty good source...

Do a test spot to a small area with whatever pads and products you're going to use and make sure you can get good to great results in a small area before tackling the entire wheel.

Let us know how it goes...

:)